Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:54 PM   #11

I have the R200 ($100 from NewEgg) and I'll be the first to admit that replacing the ink withgenuine Epson ink will set you back the cost of the printer (or close to it). I bought it mainly for printing on my CD/DVD's, which it does well.

I only use it a few times a month and it hasn't clogged on me yet. (my older stylus color 600 would clog if you didn't use it daily, and even then it would sometimes still clog).
kb3gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:42 AM   #12

Have a letter from Epson saying if you get air bubbles in the peizo heads they will be permanently damaged, I read this as FOR WHATEVER REASON you get air bubbles in.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:23 PM   #13

I would go with the Canon. I have an i960 that i didn't use inabout 4 months, printed out a nozzle check yesterday, and it came out perfect. Just goes to show how durable Canon Ink and print heads are. I also have a CX5400, it clogs more frequently, use or no use.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:43 PM   #14

davy wrote:
Quote:
Have a letter from Epson saying if you get air bubbles in the peizo heads they will be permanently damaged, I read this as FOR WHATEVER REASON you get air bubbles in.
They were lieing to you. Air in the peizo head is a bugger to sort out requiring numerous cleaning cycles to (hopefully) flush it through, but that's notmuch of an issue these days thanks to sponge-free ink carts.

Air in a thermal printhead (as used by Canon etc.) WILL burn the heads out fairly quickly though as there's nothing to cool the heating elements down.

Ink drying in the print head is another matter - neither Epson or Canon (or Lexmark or HP) print heads can cope with that - in the case of Epson's it a matter or trying to disolve the ink and hope, with the others the print head is replacable.

Edited just to add I have an Epson R200and I'm more than impressed with the print quality (andeven more surprised how waterproofprints on photo paper are), but as yet I've still not got thorugh the origional set of inksso I can't commentmuch more than that - but nocloggedheads as yet.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:31 PM   #15

JonathanV112 Hi,
Re-: CX5400, just curious here, if the clogging started gradually, ie did you find that you had to do nozzle cleaning more and more frequently. I found I had to do the occassional clean (which can be considered normal) then required more and more as time went by with deteriorating print.

The letter Harvey quoted is a letter that I received from Epson (see " A letter from Epson" air bubbles damages head's. 30th of January).

Harvey wrote:
Quote:
They were lieing to you. Air in the peizo head is a bugger to sort out
Why should they should lie when it's THERE products they'er talking about?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:30 PM   #16

davy wrote:
Quote:
Why should they lie when it's THERE products they'er talking about?
Because they wantyou to buy THEIR ink carts. Similar to the way they lie when they try to convince you your warranty will be invalidated if you use anything other then Epson inks, the way they try to make you believe you get 5760x1440 DPI, and 15 ppm.. Yea right, we all belive you Epson.

That said, all other manufacturers are just as bad.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:39 PM   #17

Oops sorry about that I didn't read it right, if the inks was cheaper then more people would surely buy em' and would'nt mind paying a couple of quid/dollars more but not getting ripped off in the process, Epsons do seem to get through a fair amount of ink Rob, after a ip4000/5000 myself (still aint decided).

Anyone buying a new printer, keep hold of the original empty tanks incase you need to return the unit - this is if you are planning on using 'other inks' (especially with Epson printers).
Old Jan 31, 2005, 5:50 PM   #18

davy wrote:
Quote:
JonathanV112 Hi,
Re-: CX5400, just curious here, if the clogging started gradually, ie did you find that you had to do nozzle cleaning more and more frequently. I found I had to do the occassional clean (which can be considered normal) then required more and more as time went by with deteriorating print.

It's not frequent clogging. It's just the odd white band in my prints and in the nozzle check pattern. Although, whenI had a CX5200, there were always a few clogged nozzles in the exact same place every time when the head was clogged in the cyan area. Just a month before the head died, the yellow and magenta nozzles started to clog. I tried several head cleanings, even flushing the head by taking out and reinserting the cartridge. When the cyan was about only 5% full,I replaced the cartridge, then the head just stopped printing cyan. That was when I replaced it with the CX5400.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:20 PM   #19

JonathanV112 thanks for that, just wondered thats all.
With the yakky C62, the effects I get are exactly the same all the time I do a print, same lines, same colour, turn settings up for printing a picture, effects just gets worse. Can just about use it for 'text' in the draft and text modes - the odd red/ blue marks IN exact same place's all time.

If that aint head trouble then I'm a martian...!
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:52 PM   #20

pbar wrote:
Quote:
As far as grey text goes? The text output from my IP4000 is amazing, no feathering like my Epson's used to give. Very sharp, almost laser quality. And it's black! My text isn't grey!
Are you getting nice black text in draft mode? I'm not arguing with your results but just trying to get a handle on their black ink. Someone else on the board also reported text that wasn't dark black unless he went to a higher setting with resulting slower speeds. My two HPs put out solid black text in draft mode and really good text in normal – and they did it more quickly than the high quality setting I was using on the iP4000.

I refilled my black cartridge with WJ1010 pigmented black and now draft mode is dark black. I'm suspecting they shipped some printers with the wrong ink in the original black cartridges – maybe the photo black. So I'm curious about your draft mode text.

A nice feature of Canon printers is that they actually measure the ink in the reservoir to give a low ink warning. So they reset automatically when you refill them. The cartridges are easy to fill and you don't have to mess around with resetting a chip like you do with Epsons. I like having the low ink warning set the way it is as I don't like to let them run empty. There is still plenty of ink in the sponge when you get the warning.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote