Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:09 PM   #21

Well I tried both the IP4000/5000 and R200 this weekend. Both are great little printers but in the end I went with the Epson R200. A couple of pics that I have with a person standing against a blue background came out funny...the blue background blended in around the outline of person's hair and made it appear as if they had blue hair. I decided to return the IP4000 and try the IP5000. I used the settings that were mentioned in the photo-i review (increase intensity)but that did not make a difference. Changing the print options to custom and setting it to 1 (Fine) made a significantimprovement but it did not get rid of the problem. Just to make sure it wasn't an issue with my PC, I reprinted pic through my old HP 7350 and it did not exhibit this problem. I also tried connecting the Pixma to one of my other PC'sbut still the "blue hair" problem was there.

I then tried the R200 and at first the pics came out very very dark...too dark to even tell if the blue hair problem wasapparent. After doing a search on the net I found out that this wasa known issue with WinXP SP2 and the R200/printers. I updated the driver and then used the workaround settings: selecting ICM under Color Management. This resolved the darkness issue and the photo print came out with no blue hair issue at all. I also found that using the PhotoRPM and Super Microweave settings also improved the detail in the photo printout. As a result I have no reservations in recommending the R200/300 printers. Only time will tell if a clogging issuewill appearbut I have spoken with 3 other R200 owners who have had their printers since before Christmas and so far they have not experienced any clogging even without printing for more than a couple of weeks.
rsuazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:50 AM   #22

Did you use Canon paper with the Ip4000/5000? It makes a hell of a difference. Using Epson paper with my IP4000, the colours are way out and printouts are dark. Using Canon papers, the output is bright and vibrant and the colours are very accurate. Very surprised you chose an Epson over a Canon, especially after having the oppurtunity to try both. Good luck.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:30 AM   #23

pbar wrote:
Quote:
Did you use Canon paper with the Ip4000/5000? It makes a heck of a difference. Using Epson paper with my IP4000, the colours are way out and printouts are dark. Using Canon papers, the output is bright and vibrant and the colours are very accurate. Very surprised you chose an Epson over a Canon, especially after having the oppurtunity to try both. Good luck.

Yes, I used the Canon sample photo papers that came with both the IP4000 and IP5000. I also tried using some Georgia Pacific glossy photo paper that has worked well with my old HP 7350 but it didn't make a difference either. I found the colors of the Canon to be fine...it was just this weird blue hair effect that bothered me.

Believe me, I was really surprised that I ended up with the Epson as well considering that I was really leaning towards the Canon's to begin with from all the reviews I read.
rsuazon is offline   Reply With Quote