Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:33 PM   #1

I am looking at buying one of the two printers from Amazon. I have read the following reviews at

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consume...025/index.html

I know the R200 is very close to the R300 in the review. I know the R200 hasless features than the R300 but that is fine with me.Either printer will work fine for me. I just want to purchase the one that will last the longest for me and give me the least amount of problems. I may print a photo one or twice a month, and Iprint word documents (black print mainly)five orsix times a week. The last Epson Stylus C80 I hadplugged up all the time and was very expensive to use( used alot of ink)

Based on the review the R200 and IP4000 look like they are very cheap to use and the print quality will be fine for me.The IP4000 will cost me $35 more to buybut if it is a much better unit in quality I do not mind the extra money.

What do you guys think??

Rob
collins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2005, 8:40 PM   #2

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3

No question, buy the Canon. I have the IP4000 and it's brilliant.

Buy the Epson if you want continual clogged heads problems and want to have to keep running cleaning cycles everytime you want to print a photo. And buy theEpson if you want to buy expensive cartridges that soon run out.

The IP4000 that I have is so trouble free it's amazing (I've had 3 different Epsons before), quality that is outstanding, and a list of features that no other printer can beat. And it's fast. The cartridges last for ages too, and they're cheap to replace.

I can't understand why anyone would buy any Epson printer at all instead of the Canon IP4000
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 9:03 AM   #4

I was told the Epson R200 uses a different ink than my old stylus C80, and the ink clogging is no longer an issue??

Rob
Old Jan 17, 2005, 4:43 PM   #5

Rubbish. Epson = clogged heads. It's that simple. have you not read enough posts and info on the net about this problem with Epson's? Everyone who's ever owned one seems to suffer from it! I've yet to cleanmy Canon IP4000, there's been no need.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 6:45 PM   #6

The R200 is a true 6 color photo printer and the iP4000 is a 5 color general purpose printer with a large black pigmented cartridge for text. If you plan to have only one printer and print a lot of text the R200 will eat you out of house and home for ink costs. And the text will be slow to produce if you want good quality.

Epsons seem to have more of a tendency to clog, but the Canons will clog as well if you don't print something in color every couple of weeks. I just print the nozzle test if I haven't printed any color for a while. You can remove the heads from the Canons and soak them in hot water or ammonia – that clears most clogs if you forget to print something in color every once in a while.

Even with the black pigmented tank I am a little disappointed in the text from my iP4000. My old HP930 printed nice black text in draft mode and it came out fast. You have to use best quality plain paper to get text from the iP4000 that is really black rather than gray. And at best quality it isn't very fast. Others have posted the same thing so I don't think it is my printer.

Otherwise the iP4000 is a nice printer. It prints very nice photos and is practical as a general purpose printer.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:49 AM   #7

The IP4000 prints photos as good (if not better) than any Epson that I have seen. As far as grey text goes? The text output from my IP4000 is amazing, no feathering like my Epson's used to give. Very sharp, almost laser quality. And it's black! My text isn't grey! There's loads of settings in the Canon software, it's worth playing around with them if you're not 100% happy with your output. And don't be put off by the Canon's 5 colours. It doesn't need any more colours, simple as that. Yes, the Canon is a general purpose printer. But it's also a dedicated photo printer too. And it's brilliant at being both. The 4" x 6" borderless photos that I print out are comparable to 'proper' photos from a lab. And again, Canon's do not suffer from clogged heads like Epson's do!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:20 AM   #8

I purchased a R300 epson January '04. I have gone through almost 2 sets of ink and have never experienced a problem with clogging. My R300 has never given me any problems and always prints beautifully. Everyone I give or showa print that the R300 has produced comments that they look better than a commercial print.
harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 9:44 AM   #9

Was that nearly 2 sets of tanks in 12 months? Note printing text with R300 uses the photo black and not a text black like the ip's

Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:58 PM   #10

I have a CX5400 for text printing. I use my R300 for pics only. I'veprintedapprox. 1004x6, 20 5x7, and 20 8x10 and used almost2 sets of inks. I am still currently on the 2nd set of inks. I have no complaint with the inkusage.

harr840 is offline   Reply With Quote