Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:33 AM   #1

The woe of Epson (C62):
My Epson C62 printer started to give me trouble about six months after purchasing it so I contacted Epson, after a few tests with their technical team and after wasting a vast amount of ink from their genuine ink tanks I was advised to take it to a local Epson dealer. "Print heads" said the dealer as though I had been printing on sandpaper....! He duly give me a replacement and literally threw the C62 straight into the nearest bin, I repeat " threw it", the replacement was of course minus the ink tanks and when I got home minus the guarantee and receipt of purchase documents.

The problem was black lines on picture with a yellow cast about 1" from the left hand side and along the bottom of the picture, as though in a frame. The normal black & white text consisted of either blue or red straight lines through the text - sometimes these were broken, the lines could not have been more straighter if a ruler had been used with a coloured pen. The higher the settings in the printer on-screen driver settings made matters more worse.

The replacement printer has started to produce exactly the same effects. I had to contact Epson several times before getting a response. I expect to get at least 12 months of trouble free service from a brand new purchase (excluding print head cleaning), certainly not the case here.

The printer is nothing but a "noisy ink guzzler", it consumes ink at an alarming rate - even if it is not being used, and regularly goes through a cleaning routine when powered up, when it is working correctly the print quality is acceptable as a general purpose all round printer. The cartridges are not exactly cheap either, the 'Intellichip' as I believe Epson calls it, to you and me the 'chipped cartridges' is a sales gimmick to boost the Epson cartridge sales - BE WARNED it does not monitor the amount of ink in the tanks BUT only ESTIMATES the amount of ink remaining by presumably counting the number of pages or the number of times the heads sweeps backward and forward - there is no direct feedback or monitoring between the chip and the ink level (as in a petrol/oil/water level gauge as in a car).

To be honest, purchasing a set of cartridges for an Epson, one could purchase a Lexmark printer complete with cartridges everytime you wanted a 'refill'. My advice when buying a printer is keep away from 'Chipped Cartridges' and Epson's peizo print heads, I am now beginning to think that 'long life
peizo heads' is also another sales gimmick - basically like a crystal in an oscillator stage of a receiver or transmitter, the heads are vibrating to squirt the ink and crystals do crack when driven hard, if this is the actual fault I can not say, another thing I suspect is the sealing around the head where it's clamped to the base unit (like that of a picture in a mounting frame.

The help I got from Epson was only on the first occasion, they did not want to know the second time around, why is it that two identical products developed the same faults….

The local dealer has now stopped repairing Epson printers, to me this speaks volumes..!

Goodbye Epson.... I will never buy ANY Epson products again…!

Anyone had the same problems as above?

davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:03 AM   #2

Will you people never learn, don't buy an Epson! Give up trying to sort the Epson out, you'll have problems forever. I've yet to find someone who is perfectly happy with theirs, whether it's the high running costs, print head clogging or whatever. Cut your losses and buy a Canon. The IP4000 is brilliant,or any of the models either side of that depending on your budget.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 5:21 AM   #3

Hi pbar,
Thanks for reading, will only get bitten once with Epson.

Also add if I may, never believe all the HYPE you see in the reviews, its hi-time the reviews started reviewing the pit falls as well as the good points. Also you Epson users BE WARNED, the guarantee will be void if they find you are not using GENUINE Epson tanks, if using other inks under warrenty allways keep hold of the empty Epson tank. I used Epson tanks until the 2nd printer started to give me problems and then switched to another brand because of the ink wastage.

The best reviewers are in these pages - the users.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 7:39 AM   #4

Well said. I can't believe the costs of Epson cartridges. For the Canon IP4000 (I know they're all separate colours whereas some Epsons have combined colours) the individual colour cartridges are only 6 or 7 pounds for genuine one's.

Hey you know I'm in Stockport, not a million miles away?
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 8:58 AM   #5

Dunno wot Epson inks made of, it aint gold dust thats for sure, so whats so special about it - no, no don't say the chip, its only similar to a PIC chip (a mini programmable cpu) cos they'er less than a fiver.

Just had a thought, have Epson not put a levy on their ink tanks? since the ink remaining is only estimated, they are actually saying, "you do so many prints and new tanks you will get", black and the coloured tanks work independant, but not the three colours as these always register the same level.

And another thought another edit, maybe what is registered in the ink tank chip, is the number of times or possily the LENGTH of time the heads are 'TURNED ON' when in operation - now this seems to me more realistic.

Just learned that it actually counts the number of dots it prints and stores it in memory - hard to see cos we must be talking very large numbers here, even if counting in binary numbers.

They oughta give their printers away, what suckers we are.

Yep, not too far pbar - just down the road so to speak.