Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 14, 2002, 3:35 AM   #1

Default How good is the quality of HP 100 4X6" photo printer?

I was looking at the HP 100, that small stand alone printer that uses the cards from the camera to print from without the computer.
I wanted to get this for my wife because she has an old computer with Win 95 and can't use this on the computer.
She takes 35mm photos and has the film developed at Wal-Mart 4X6" sizes most of the time.
I thought if I got her a point and shoot digital camera and this printer she could perhaps save money in a long run.
My questions: Does it use an expensive ($50+) photo cartridge?
Are the photos like Wal-Mart or is it like all the other HP printers, the ink will spot or run if it gets wet?
At $179 (price never cames down) would I be getting a good product or would I be better off with one of the other branda?
I am open to sugestions.
Thanks in advance to any help.
Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2002, 3:14 AM   #2

Cheap cost printing since it only uses 3 colors. It does'nt a crisp job on quality but when you hit up the colors it is'nt bad but the blacks suffer and the shades as well. I tell customers to get it if they really want a printer that prints photos on the fly and on teh cruisboat or while you are camping or something. The photos are good. Just keep your six color printer around for your top nothc pictures.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 9:05 AM   #3

Bill
I have just ordered the HiTi 630ps (See Steve's review). It is a stand alone printer that does not need a computer to print 4X6 photos. The cost of 50 page photo pack, which includes everything, is $20. That makes the photo cost 40 cents a pic. It should arrive in about a week.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 6:11 PM   #4

Thanks guys for the info.
Gibson3620, I will check out that HiTi 630ps, but I will most likely go with the HP130 if that printer costs more than the HP.
I have seen the quality of prints from the 130 and they look good to me and the price is $179.
Thanks again.
Bill
Old Nov 29, 2002, 6:46 PM   #5

Hi Gibson3620, I checked out the reviews on the HiTi 630PS and it looks good, the only thing I see is you have to buy the stickers to go on the prints, seems like that would bring up the per print cost.
So you buy the 50 pack for 20 dollars and than spend another 29.95 for the stickers.
Sounds like it will cost much more than the inkjet per print.
Plus it will have to be mail ordered, have to get the printer for wife by Christmas.
Let me know when you get it, I like Steve's reviews on it though.
regards,
Bill
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:20 PM   #6

Bill

The HiTi 630pl is only $169. Check Steve's review at the end of the second page is Focus cameras. They can get the printer as fast overnight. Mine will be here next week and I will post what I find out about the printer.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 6:13 PM   #7

Gibson3620, Thanks for the info. I thought the 630PL was not the stand alone printer and the 630PS is, my wife has an old AMD 133 with windows 95 so she can't use the computer and will have to plug the compactflash card into the printer and use it that way.
Let me know how yours is and which one of the three web sites on Steve's reviews you are getting your printer from.
I still do not understand about the "stickers" that I would have to buy in addition to the "film" paper pack.
Regards,
Bill