Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 27, 2005, 5:58 AM   #1

As you may know I have had two identical printers with exact identical faults (C62), here is part of letter from Epson.

I quote: '.....The ink cartridges are chipped because EPSON printers contain a permanent PIEZO print head. If the print head runs dry, ie if the cartridge runs out of ink, air bubbles will enter the print head and will permanently damage it'. unquote.

So what this says, if air bubbles get into the head FOR ANY reason they will be permanently damaged.

Now then lets apply a wee little thought here; brand new printer = no cartridges installed = no air bubbles! Install ink tanks = head clean once a while, thats ok, no problem with that.

WHAT ABOUT THE AIR BUBBLES THEN? What we ARE NOW SAYING is only after the HEADS HAVE BEEN PRIMED?

I'm trying to apply a little ol' logic here which does not seem to make sense. I can only put it down to the ink sediments, since I had to keep applying head cleaning more and more frequently, and with genuine Epson inks.

Would a 'thermal' head not heat the air causing it to expand and burst the bubble if that was the case - just a thought?
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:16 PM   #2

I really really would love to see proof that air can 'permanently damage' a piezo printhead. If that was the case, why did Epson ever sell printers without ink cartridge chips? Why as nobody else reported this 'problem'.. ever?

Quote:
Now then lets apply a wee little thought here; brand new printer = no cartridges installed = no air bubbles! Install ink tanks = head clean once a while, thats ok, no problem with that.

WHAT ABOUT THE AIR BUBBLES THEN? What we ARE NOW SAYING is only after the HEADS HAVE BEEN PRIMED?

The printheads are filled with a non-drying liquid (some sort of oil I guess) in the factory before shipping. That's flushed though in the initial first prime and replaced with ink (and half-empty the cartridge in the process :G)

The only reason air in the printhead is to be avoided is because itcan dry outthe ink that'sin the head(s), and that candamage the printhead... although 99% of the time it's just a matter of disolving itaway to get things working again.

You can get 'air' into the ink path, and therefore cause the ink to dryif youtotally empty the ink cart [hence the reason for the cartridge chips], leave the printer sitting about for weeks [the ink gradually drys out in the head caps], or refill a (sponge baised) ink cartridge incorrectly or too many times.

Quote:
Would a 'thermal' head not heat the air causing it to expand and burst the bubble if that was the case - just a thought?

It would just burn out. Here's a nice picture of it http://www.alotofthings.com/inkjetin...n/BurnItUp.htm

The 'bubble' part refers to howthe inkboils and bubbles out of the ink heads.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:30 AM   #3

Hi Harvey,
thanks for reading, certainly agree re burnt thermal jets as the 'WET' ink acts to absorb the heat and if its dried up the head (nozzles to be more correct) is just gonna' get hotter and hotter until 'burn out' - just like a ol' electric kettle with NO thermal cut-out but on a bigger scale, imagine the spout being a nozzle.

Certainly can't comment on other Epson printers but only on the C62 in which the exchanged unit went the same way in a very similar amount of time.

Since they all use the same technology can you really blame me for not wanting or trusting Epson again - NO THANKS NOT A THIRD TIME.

I would certainly like to know what is so special about Epson inks and for the price they oughta' justify the size of the cartridge seeing that they waste a fair amount.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote