Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 17, 2002, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Refill Canon S900/9000?

Hi Everybody! I just bought a Canon S9000 and love it. I read a horror story about a guy who refilled his Canon S900 printer and frapped his print head. He said that the Canons use heat to help push the ink into the paper. That coupled with the very small size of the droplets, makes it very sensitive to the type of ink used. Has anybody had good luck refilling these? I'd appreciate input about any reputable ink dealer(s) for factory Canon OR "the other leading brand" ink tanks you've had success with. Thanks for any input!!
ShortBusCandid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 6:00 PM   #2

Default Refill Canon S9000

Shortbus,

It's not a very good idea to refill any of the newer Canon or Epson ink tanks. The new 4 pico-liter and smaller size nozzles can become clogged if you use an ink that isn't formulated properly. Another issue is that these printers produce archival results using a specific combination of inks and papers. You can't be sure how long your prints will last if you use third party inks. Not to mention the voiding of your printer's warranty when third party inks are used.

My advice, order your ink from some place like Ritz (no taxes and free shipping if you order enough). Use smaller media for test prints, print on the larger format media only if the test prints are okay.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:37 AM   #3

Default ink jet carts

Ritz is high $ on these carts at $11.95 for a BCI-6C
Gateway stores have them at $9.95 = $2 saving times 6 carts is $12 per full cart replacement.
geyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:32 PM   #4

Here is a link to refilling instructions for your Canon printer. I refill HP cartridges but have never refilled the Canon cartridges. It could provide interesting reading.

http://www.oddparts.com/ink/cbc30_31.htm
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:53 PM   #5

:idea:
I refill my cartridges for S9000, with no problems. I get perfect results, no difference in color, but I think you need to be careful where you buy your ink from. It does not void the warranty, as many people think.
I red about a continuous ink system for S9000, but I have not used it yet (expensive -$250.00), anybody using it, any feedback?!
Good luck
FOTOGRAFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 3:25 AM   #6

So, where do you buy your ink from? I've read several posts on dpreview about inkjetgoodies.com. I'm just weighing all the options. Thanks!
ShortBusCandid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 6:56 AM   #7

I purchase my ink from www.inkcarts.com. Enter GETMEADEAL in the coupon code and you will receive a 25% discount. You can check out more coupons at www.techbaragains.com. You can look at the site I previously posted.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 9:05 AM   #8

I bought my ink at www.inksupply.com, no problems so far.
FOTOGRAFU is offline   Reply With Quote