Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 31, 2005, 6:23 PM   #1

We are all waiting for the great 'review of all reviews Steve. David Stones review of the ip5000 in PC Mag. didn't help when he commented on the ip5000 being one step lower in photo quality than the ip4000, it's alittle confusin' since he said the text and pastels were better with the ip5000.

Thanks to one of your members tcchou71 who put me right and 'hit the nail on the head' when he pointed out the time it took the ip5000 to print a picture that the ip5000 maybe wasn't set at its 'best quality'.

Does the difference in quality justify the extra £££ or $$$ compared to the ip4000
(the point of this post).

Also, if a review is done if text could be taken into consideration. Just an idea how about having something like a 'TOP TEN' of printers etc.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:12 AM   #2

Really, I fail to see how the IP4000 can be bettered. Especially when you can buy it for around £90. The IP5000 might have a higher technical spec but I doubt wheter it's noticeable. I too considered the IP5000. I'm sure it's brilliant, but the price difference swung me towards the IP4000. I consider the 4000 & 5000 to be quite close. If you're after something a greater step up why not consider oneof the higher end printers in the Pixma/Canon range. Or maybe they're out of budget, they can be expensive. I was in the same predicament as you, and I opted for the 4000. But I should think you'll be happy with either!
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:29 AM   #3

Hi pbar
Many thanks for that, its a question that was never asked un' thought I'd ask it, the last point "if you are after a greater step up...." it's a very good point that you made and easily raises afew questions, which is why I'm undecided.

As you say if you want the best go for a higher end printer, another way to look at it I guess is that the ip4000 is cheaper in the sense that the improvement is not gonna' be dramatic, and guess this will only be at the ip5000 highest setting.

Ok, guess I've answered my own question here, all I want is a 'good all round' printer, yes I would like it to get good photos as well as text, photos is not the main priority otherwise it would be a photo printer.

After my experiences with 2 Epson printers I'm sure you can understand my 'nitpicking' - 'its the curse of Epson'.

Cheers and thanks for reply.

Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:21 AM   #4

Hey, I've been struck by the Epson curse on my last 3 (Epson) printers, so I know where you're coming from. If you were to have 2 photo printouts, one from the IP4000 and one from the IP5000, I honestly don't think you'd be able to tell which was which. Using default or highest settings. I really can't fault it, I know I keep saying it but photographic results are outstanding on the IP4000. And I have notsuffered from any grey text, although draft mode isn't something I use much. Graphical printouts are spot on too.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:00 AM   #5

All i can say is i love my IP5000. LOVE IT!
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:59 AM   #6

I'm quite happy with my iP4000 now that I have refilled my big pigmented black tank. Now plain paper draft and normal modes are black rather than dark gray. Someone else with an iP4000 commented on having to use too high a quality (read slow speed) to get really black text.

I'm not sure whether Canon shipped some units with poor black ink or that is just the way they work with Canon ink. The tanks are very easy to fill if you can get some good quality pigmented black on your side of the pond. I've refilled for many years and have had good results. If I'm printing a large manual two sided I pull the tank and fill it so I don't run out in the middle of the second side – it is hard to recover from that. I'm on my third pint of pigmented black for a savings of many hundreds of dollars over the years. I also refill the colors and have had good luck with my Canon S9000 for a couple of years now. The iP4000 uses the same color ink and tanks but without the photo magenta and cyan.

If the poor black text in draft and normal are always a result of using Canon ink and you don't want to mess with refilling I would look elsewhere. I wasn't a happy camper until I put some good ink in the tank. I have printed quite a bit with the darker ink without problems.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:17 AM   #7

3 eh', well I ain't gonna give them the privilege 2 is enough
so :blah: to Epson

Quote:
'its the curse of Epson'.
not bad for a film or Dr. Who title...LOL.

Hi clem good to av ya on board, yes ip's are popular its just that I'm trying to see 'a good comparison' before I decide.

There' so many people askin' it's a little strange Steve hasn't done a review before now, only leaves us asking the reasons why not?

And thanks to slipe for the info, let know how I find it.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:01 PM   #8

With so many new items hitting the market any site trying to review the lot would be foolish. It is frustrating though that the existing reviews for the iP5000 don't cut through the Canon marketing speak. If the 1pL droplet size and increased resolution are only invoked for higher quality printing with Photo Paper Pro, what differences exist from an iP4000 for all the other modes and why?
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:48 AM   #9

Davy, I was thinking, on the Canon site you can order a free sample print from any of the printers. I did it myself before I bought my IP4000. You upload your own image/picture file and a couple of days later it arrives in the post. Why not do this for the IP4000 & 5000 that you're considering and you can see the difference. Just a thought.:crazy:
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:30 AM   #10

Thanks pbar, I'd forgotten I'd done that but-; 'twas the nights before Christmas.....when I'd be tanked up you see, Canon be busy as bees will be, better not mention the post you see" -; but will giv' em' another try.

Pbar refers to 'try & buy' where you can upload or select the sample pictures of your choice, they print on the specific machine and send to you.

Paul_D might be hitting on a point, I noted the other printers only uses 2 pl heads although more ink tanks, emmm if the 4000 and 5000 uses different print heads, would this not make a 5000 a test bed for the 1 pl heads?

[color=yellow]NOTE: The CANON documents states that the reslution is 4800x1200 for the ip4000 and 9600x2400 dpi for the ip5000 - But Curry's UK WEB site say's different - Look out for this.