Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 2, 2005, 7:11 PM   #1

I have just purchased a Canon MP750 (same printer as 4000) for my general document printing, and a 8500 for my Photos. I've printed off the same few photos on each, and have noticed that there doesn't appear to be any difference in quality. In fact, in an informal test, my family picked the photo from the MP750 over the 8500 because it was very slightly more vibrant. I did these prints using Epson borderless 4x6 premium glossy photo paper and shots from a Canon 20D. Does Canon paper reveal much different (or better) results than Epson? If so, why (other than the fact Canon makes it)? Also, has anyone done image comparisons between the 4000 and 8500? I'm trying to figure out if I need the 8500, because so far, I haven't seen much of a difference (I will keep testing).

Also, I have some Epson borderless 8x10 premium glossy photo paper I would like to use up, but I can't figure out how to print a borderless 8x10 with the Canon? I know Canon doesn't make 8x10 paper, so they have probably locked the driver to their paper sizes? I did try to go to custom size, type in 8x10, but it won't let me select borderless or "high" quality prints (locked to standard). Is there any way to get around this?

Thanks for your help!
-Jeff
Jaw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:40 AM   #2

I have mentioned this in a couple of other threads, yes, there are monumental differences when using Epson and Canon papers. On my IP4000, using Epson photo paper the results are dull (especially in darker areas, much less detail) and colours are way out compared to what's on the screen. But with Canon photo papers the colours are very accurate and the output is bright and vibrant. I was amazed at the difference. Different manufaturers ink types call for different papers I expect. Regarding the borderless thing, I always thought that you could choose a custom paper size then check the borderless print check box. I'll have to investigate that.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote