Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:17 PM   #1

My older Epson 880 is still a great printer, but I need one that does borderless printing.
I'm making greeting cards (4.25 x 5.5) from Photoshop files, and want the art to bleed off the edges of my precut cards. I wondered if I can do borderless printing in any size?
From all the reviews, I thought I would get a Canon printer this time around. Does anyone know if Canon's will print borderless in random sizes?
rubydia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:51 AM   #2

Having always printed borderless using pre-defined formats on my epson 895 printer, ie. A4 etc..... For my latest brochure project, i opted to print using a custom size of 10cm x 25cm.
Alas, to my disappointment and bewilderment, epson or at least windows xp would not allow me to print borderless using custom format whereas in mac os x, I was able to select borderless and all but the print-out was all f**ked up as in the prints were always printed 4.7cm below the top edge of the paper!!! Now the strange thing is that i was able to get it to work once previously albeit using a different format b4 i decided on the current one, and now i can't seem to get it to work using my current format!!!

And I have just bought a canon ip5000 to replace my above mentioned epson and in windows xp, it too can't print borderless using custom paper formats, only predefined formats are allowed for borderles printing. However i have not tried it under mac os X.

IF anyone know of ways to print borderless using custom paper formats, pls let us know.

I dun understand why if a printer can print a4 or a3 borderless that they can't print borderless custom-format page that's smaller than their maximum printing size, it just makes no sense, unless manufacturers dun wan to implement it.....

wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:39 AM   #3

The Canons print borderless only in standard sizes. I think most of the borderless Epson printers are the same way.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:54 AM   #4

There are a series of sponges to absorb the overspay for the common sizes. Seems they could have put the sponge all the way across and allowed boarderless at any size, probably saving this for a future reason to upgrade but then I always was a cynical bastard.

Mike
HangMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:55 AM   #5

haha, my thoughts exactly. n that's called business......
wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote