Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:51 PM   #11

Hmmm.. so according to your definition "If it smells, it is toxic.", strawberries, oranges, onions and a whole host of other things would be classed as toxic?

There's a whole range of non-toxic chemicals in use that smell something awful - a blanket 'it smells; its bad' doesn't cover it.

If, as you say, we shouldn't use any ink that smells, then all the genuine Epson and HP inks I've ever used shouldn't be on the market - they all have quite a high pong. And, for that matter, Canon should take all their inket photo papers off the market as they smell of Acetic acid whenwet.

How come NONE of these products have warnings on them? Surely if - as you state - they are toxic, aren't there laws requiring products to be marked as such?
Quote:
I bought ink on Ebay from some hongkongier, it smells... terribly...

now, you tell me, is it toxic?
How should I know? I don't go around drinking printer inks to find out. Neither does anybody I know of. Perhaps we should go back to using darkroom chemicals for our print.. oh - hang on we can't do that because the chemicals 'smell'.. Ha well...

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:58 PM   #12

I thinkwe are all out of topic.

also, frank perry, stop spamming here.
Metrolinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:15 PM   #13

How strange how the posts from both Tangerineand Metrolinkmanseem to just be about the same 'smelly ink' subject :?

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:19 AM   #14

well i guess this topic has gotten a little off topic.... i'm still interested in the merits of using this printer solely to print CD/DVD's.... anyone have any info on that? :-)
audiotakeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:15 PM   #15

I have the R800. I've printed CDs and DVDs. I find it does an excellent job as long as you don't expect quite the color saturation you get on commercially produced products.

The caveat to the above is I have not really tried to "tweak" the color to get more saturation. For me, it's about convenience. I'm not trying to sell a product, I just don't want to deal with labels.

It may very well be possible to get commercial quality results, but, I suspect,the speed of printing is not going to be as fast as that $1000 dedicated printer. If you are trying to print batches of CDs or DVDs for clients, I think the more expensive product will pay for itself in the long run.

All printing on the R800 is very ink intensive. At least the pigment inks don't run at the first sign of water.

The software works OK, but just. For pro work, you will want a pro graphics / photo editor like Photoshop orPaint Shop Pro. If graphics only, then there are less expensive options. It will require some experimentation and tweaking.

I hate to spend your money, but you see where the arguments above keep leading you.

Cheers, Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:24 PM   #16

Just to add a couple of thoughts. If you want permanent, guaranteed smudge free, ink jet is not the answer. You can make it so, but only with an additional step. I'd use an HVLP spray system to spray an overcoat of waterbase polyurethane on ONLY the printed side. I suspect commercial printers use something similarly bullet proof, though I've run into the occasional CD/DVD that is is susceptible to smudging, especially in vinyl sleeves.

Cheers, Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:26 PM   #17

Thanks for the great information Eric!

Does anyone have any recommendation for a good dedicated CD/DVD color printer that costs less than $1,000 usd?
audiotakeout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:59 AM   #18

I would suggest the UK Canon iP4000. It's only $170 from Expansys-USA (including plug adaptor) and $5 shipping. Very fast at printing a CD/DVD (under1 min. vs about 5 min. for Epson). Excellent customer service, too.

Great results and very quick dry. Canon ink is dye based and sinks into the printable CD surface. Epson (and the large Canon text black) are pigment based, so they sit up above the surface of the printable CD - and therefore take longer drying time. And this is in addition to the print time.

At under $200 you should give it a try. If it doesn't work , return it to expansys-usa (although expectup to a 25restocking fee if not defective.)
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 12:10 PM   #19

If your looking for an autoloader, they are going to be much more expensive than a printer that has as the ability to print CD/DVD included. Check out:

http://www.cdrom2go.com/equipment/bravo-2.html

At little more than $1000 US, but not much.

Racer X

racerx2oo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 1:12 PM   #20

you mean you want to have bulk print of CD/DVD covers?

otherwise, epson r200 is good enough.
james_ditkowsky is offline   Reply With Quote