Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:49 PM   #1

When I print, what setting within the print driver determines which black ink is used? I want to make sure I'm using the pigment black for text and the dye black for photos.

My iP4000 is connected to a Mac running OS X 10.3.8.

Thanks
carillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:07 PM   #2

AFAIK if you are using coated photo papers and settings etc the pigment ink isn't used regardless of content. The cart will lose some ink through normal purging cycles. On plain paper pigment black is used for text (and there are claims that some pigment black is used in graphics). Supposedly the pigment ink gets laid down slightly before the dye ink.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks Paul_D, makes sense to me!
carillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:12 AM   #4

I was actually gonna ask the same question. I just received my ip5000 and being a fashion student, i print lots of graphics(i.e photo n text at the same time) and at the moment for my brochure (it's time to leave the student realm n start looking for a job, sad but at the same time exciting)
i am using normal stock paper with sort of a matte finish.

Quote:
On plain paper pigment black is used for text (and there are claims that some pigment black is used in graphics). Supposedly the pigment ink gets laid down slightly before the dye ink.
On your quote above, would a graphic print consisting of photos and text print using both inks for each type respectively, or a mixture of both or only dye black ink is used?

Would i get better print quality by printing the photo/graphics and text separately or is it just not worth the hassle?

thanks in advance

wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:49 AM   #5

It would be nice if they gave you a little more technical information with the printer. Under grayscale my HP printers had a "black only" sub selection. It would use only the pigmented black with that chosen. I haven't found anything similar on my iP4000.

Pigmented black leaves a surface texture that is visible on a glossy photo print. So photo printers have not traditionally mixed the pigmented black. From the limited information I can find the Canons mix in the pigmented black for graphics but limit it on glossy paper. Whether that is a complete or partial limitation I don't know, but there is none of the surface texture on glossy photos associated with pigmented black.

A mixed text and image page is no problem on anything but glossy photo paper. The printer does black text with pigmented ink if it comes as text. Even if you rasterize the text I think it still uses pigmented black for anything pure black on plain or matte paper.

I just ran some tests and I seem to be getting black pigmented text with both mixed image and text from Word and from rasterized images and text from Photoshop. On the lowest quality I can use for plain paper in both the text is strong.

My black text was weak (dark gray rather than black) in draft and standard when I got the printer. That cleared up when I refilled the big black cartridge with WJ1010 pigmented black ink. Now I get dark black even in draft mode. I suspect some of the printers came with the wrong ink in the big black cartridge. Canon cartridges are easy to fill and it is a skill worth learning if you intend printing a lot.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:44 PM   #6

In other posts about the Canon pigment black it has been suggested that if you want to check this for yourself, lift the lid, hold down the lid position detect switch and watch the ink being put on the paper. The pigment head is longer and you can see where it is laying down ink. This is possible on an i865, I presume it can be done with iP4000/5000.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:54 PM   #7

interesting. will try it out n c if it works. Thanks
wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:45 PM   #8

My curiousity got the better of me. I printed a mixed page of text, simple clipart graphics and high res JPGs with the i865 lid up. With plain paper/standard setting it was possible to see a shadow of pigment black being laid down where the graphics and JPGs were ahead of the colour. Set for Photo Paper Pro everything was laid done at the same time with nothing from the pigment head.