Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:11 PM   #1

Can anyone please help me decide which printer to buy? Really hard to choose between the two, both are even in price.
westbrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 6:12 PM   #2

IMHO, the Canon is clearly more versitle, faster and quiter.

If you live in the US, and want to print lables directly to CD/DVD's, however, you MUST buy a UK version.

I went to Expansys-USA and purchased a UK version for just $175 plus $5 shipping and handleing ... only $15 more than Newegg ... and no sales tax!

I just recieved mine yesterday, and couldn't be happier! :-)

Expansys even threw in a plug adaptor for free - they don't mention this on the web site.. Several people have bought from them, and I've not seen even one problem!

Good Luck

PS: Try doing searches for Expansys on this and other review sites like DVDHelp.com and club.cdfreeks.com. Always get all the feedback you can. Heck, it's free!

arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:42 AM   #3

It's no contest - Canon Ip4000 every time. I love mine :love:

Of course, if you want clogged heads andexpensive cartridges Epson wins :angry:
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:05 AM   #4

Also to remember, the Canon has 2 black inks, the larger tank being a pigment ink for text, the R300 has only one photo black ink.

If you read elsewhere on Steves forum you will find that you will be hard pushed to tell the difference between the pixma and a printer with six inks and that the extra colours tends to be used up more frequently.
If you run out of black text, you can still use the Canon on photo's or vice versa, you run out of ONE colour with Epson - no more prints until the tank is replaced, and before long you will be dashing out again for some other colour that needs to be replaced.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 8:05 AM   #5

I live in the UK, so picking either one up is simple, want good results printing onto discs - seems epson have a bad rep! Looked at both, and the canon seems less "plastic", and more of a solid printer. Was a little taken in by the epsons boast of more colours etc. but have so far found no complaints from canon users.

So its case closed then? Everyone for Canon:G ip4000 over Epsons:evil: R300?

Thanks for all of your help - will buy ASAP! (any ideas where i can find best prices in UK?.....)
westbrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:24 PM   #6

I did ALOT of research and I believe I had very similar criteria as you. I decided on the Canon. Automated double sided printing, faster print times, cheaper operating costs, arguably better print quality, and a relatively easily replaced print head compared to the Epson. Get the Canon.
lebaige is offline   Reply With Quote