Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:55 AM   #1

Having just replaced my epson 895 with a canon pixma ip5000, i have some questions regarding banding being present using the 2 lower quality settings on plain paper, whereas when i printed using low quality settings on my epson, banding was not present.

Printing on higher setting prodecued no banding watsoever. What is causing this and is this a negative trait of canon printers? don't get me wrong, i love my new ip5000 however is there anyway to rectify the problem mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:35 PM   #2

Why would you use a photo printer to print on plain paper?

Glenn
gsrunyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:04 PM   #3

If Canon weren't positioning the iP5000 as a high quality general purpose printer they would have left out the pigment black which is only used on plain paper.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 3:06 PM   #4

gsrunyan wrote:
Quote:
Why would you use a photo printer to print on plain paper?

Glenn
Why would you want a photo printer that can't equal or beat the best general purpose printers??

Too much space and need something to fill it up with? :-?
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:22 PM   #5

For those who ask:

I Use my iP5000 to print text as well as photos, I think it does great on both. I especially like the Auto Duplex capability. Makes my life easier.

For wernehawen
What settings are you using to get banding?

Why are you using lowest print settings? Speed? Ink Use? iP5000 really does print photos quitespeedily on High (4800 x 2400 DPI), or High(1) (9600 x 2400 DPI) and it sips rather than gulps ink at that.

I have only gotten banding on one print on my iP5000, which I was able toresolve by using different print program & it was, photo/print, almost forgot, Paper specific. All other photos using the same settings and same paper, printed fine.

Have you done a Manual Print Allingment? (not Automatic)

How does your Nozzle Check Printout look? Any missed spaces in the checkerboard pattern?

dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 12:48 AM   #6

Banding can occur when using crappy paper which has a high fibre content. It's like when you mow the grass, if you mow up the lawn, then come down the opposite way you get stripes. That's a desired effect on grass, but the same thing happens with crappy high fibre paper, as the printer fires the ink one way, then the opposite way, you get banding just like stripes on a lawn. Use a better paper.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:21 PM   #7

What paper do you recommend for text & colored graphics use with the canon's? I'm looking at the IP5000 as a replacement for a lazer which is dieing and a Canon 6000 which is low rez.

Noticed quite an improvement in color on the Canon when I put a 4x6 photo sheet in, unfortunately it printed off the left side of the paper. I want one printer since I don't want to deal with the clogs/cleaning associated with not using it.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote