Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:02 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm looking for a printer to use with my Linux desktop (currently RedHat 8.0, overdue for an upgrade!) I have read that Linux printer drivers are not always well optimised for photo printing. I'd be grateful for any suggestions of budget printers - up to £100 / US$180 - known to work well with Linux, with good photo quality and reasonable running costs. I would occasionally be using the printer for text but the main use would be for photos, both colour and B&W, from 6x4 up to A4. Not high volume, I might want to run off 20 prints then not use it for a couple of weeks.

I haven't owned a printer for years and I'm out of touch with the state of the market. If anyone has the patience to summarise the price/performance milestones for current budget printers, I'd be very grateful. E.g. the Canon Pixma iP1500 seems amazingly cheap and gets very good consumer reviews on Dealtime, but I've no idea whether the photo quality is inches or miles behind, say the iP4000 - does the extra cash buy mainly features (like an output tray!), or quality too?

If I can get a multifunction device (printer/scanner/copier) for not much extra money without compromising quality, I'd consider that, too.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dave
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:34 AM   #2

I've found the following link...

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

... which says that only Epson and HP are worth considering for use with Linux. "There are few good free software drivers for Canon and Lexmark inkjets. Do not buy one and expect success."

So, any recommendations of Epsons or HPs that would fit my needs?

Thanks,

Dave
Old Feb 26, 2005, 6:27 AM   #3

Here's an update in case anyone's interested. After reading various reports of the running costs of photo inkjets, particularly Epsons and HPs, it seems that they would cost me more per print than getting my images lasered onto Fuji Crystal Archive paper by e.g. Photobox. I'm assuming that the latter would give better quality and longevity than a £100 inkjet, so I have shelved my printer-buying plans.

Dave