Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:42 AM   #1

I have a small network with 3 shared printers (a Canon i9900 and two HPs). My server is 3 months old with XP-home (SP2). My Laptop has XP-Pro (SP1). A request across the network for "Printing Preferences" or "Printing Properties"responds almost instantly for the two HPs, but I get a 45 second delay when Iaccess the Canon preferences or properties from my Laptop. I get the same 45 second delay EVERY time that I access the preferences or properties, even if the dialog was closed only one second ago. If I print directly from the server, there is no delay. There are no delays when changing tabs or information in the preferences dialog once it appears. Canon's tech support said that they do not support this printer on a network andwere no help with this problem.

Canon's "Easy PhotoPrint" package experiences no such delays across the network, but it does not allow color management for papers or inks other than Canon products (it ignores the default settings in Printing Preferences).

I had a similar problem with a 20 second delay when first accessing shared files across the network, but there was no delay forsubsequent accesses made within 15 minutes (an SP1/SP2 issue). The fix for that problemwas to disable "Web Client Services". Is there a similar fix for this problem, or is it possible that Canon built this "feature" into their software to discourage printing through the Photo Printing Wizard or other programs (i.e. Photoshop) that allow user adjustable color settings/management?
grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:04 PM   #2

I cured the problem, but I'm not surewhy it worked.

I re-ran the "Network Setup Wizard" on the laptop, specifying that the computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway (thelaptopwas connected directly to the Internet when it wasoriginally configured). The access to the Canon Preferences and Properties are now also almost instant.
grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote