Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 25, 2002, 5:34 PM   #1

Default Best free standing printers w/a price range

I know absolutely nothing about computers, cameras, etc. I need to get a printer with a price range of about $200-$300. I share a computer with my roommate and don't always want to upload my pics onto her computer. I am looking into buying something soon, but in the meantime, I'd love a printer that I can use without a PC. I have a Canon S200 camera. I've looked at the Canon S900. Is there anything else people would suggest. I want the best quality I can possibly get here in terms of pic quality and longevity. I've thought of the Dye Subs as well, but it seems more practical to get a regular printer. Thanks.
Jflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2002, 5:50 PM   #2

I use the HP5550 and it produces great pics. It is also used as my everyday printer. You can purchase a photo cartridge for the printer to provide 6 color printing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:04 PM   #3

Default RE:Best free standing printers w/a price range

JFlo,

Try the Canon S530D. Print photos directly from digital camera memory cards. Easy-PhotoPrint (Windows only) and Exif Print: smart photo processing of digital camera images. Dazzle 4 in 1 Card Adapter kit included in the box. Supports Canon PowerShot S30, Canon PowerShot S40 (Dedicated Direct Interface cable included with printer), Canon PowerShot S330, Canon PowerShot S200, Canon Optura 200MC, G2, G2 BLACK.

I'm sure there are others from Epson or HP, just make sure they have stand alone capability. You will have to set them up via a computer, but after that you won't need a computer. The S530D lists at 199.00

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 2:55 AM   #4

The Canon S900 cannot be used free standing, neither can the HP 5550. The Canon S530D is a four colour printer and therefore is not really photo quality.

If you want a six colour photo quality inkjet printer that can be used free standing your options are:

Epson: 785EX (if it is still around), 825, 925
Canon: S830D
HP: 7150/7350/7550 (need the photo cartridge which is an option on some of these models)

All of these can produce very high quality photo prints, but there may be advantages/disadvantages when printing without a PC - you will need to do some investigation on this.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote