Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 26, 2002, 3:46 PM   #1

Default HP 7150, Canon i850, Epson ?, lookin' for your $.02 worth...

We're looking to replace our Epson 740 printer and have been considering the HP7150 the Canon i850 and would still consider another Epson, but don't have a specific model.

We liked our 740 initially (3years ago) but have grown weary of clogged heads and ink consumption (we've also used aftermarket ink, so maybe that contributes the problem).

Anyway, we're interested in stepping up and these models passed our radar screen. We're interested in borderless prints and the 4x6 direct print capability. We do NOT own a Digi-cam, but likely will within 12 months (whole 'nother topic).

We do print a lot of text as well as generic color prints, but our main concern is picture quality when we print out scanned images from our SLR (Nikon N60).

Any insight to the best in this price range from HP, Canon & Epson would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark
Us 5 Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2002, 5:06 PM   #2

I use the HP 5550 and it is a great printer. The difference between the 5550 and 7150 is that you can connect a HP photosmart camera to the 7150. The cost for both printers are the same.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 7:44 PM   #3

The cost of ink will be a lot more than the cost of ithe printer over the life of any hardware. I've always stuck with Epsons because of that. HPs are great printers... always rated among the best for print qualiy and the most popular. Their ink is expensive because the print heads have to be repalced with the cartridge.

Epsons have their problems with clogging, but their ink is inexpensive (using 3rd party stuff). My photos look great with my Epsons. I print lots of pix using Epson their heavyweight matte paper and clone ink. It's inexpensive enough that I can give away lots of great looking pictures without putting me in the poo house.

Canon has come on strong over the last year or so. I won't talk them down because I've never used them.

You have to weigh your needs and budget. I've never had a complaint abou pictures I give away or use in our scrap books. If you're a professional, there may be other issues...
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:03 PM   #4

Mark,

Since you've heard from HP and Epson, I'll give you the scoop on Canon. The i850 is probably the fastest inkjet on the market. Yet it provides excellent photo quality pictures in about 1 minute (8.5 x 11). I was surprised at the photo quality as it is a four color model instead of a six color model. It prints 8.5 x 11 borderless as well as 4 x 6. It doesn't have a card slot. The text is on par with HP models. I've always thought that the HP provided the best text for inkjets. However, the i850 seems to do as well.

My .02

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 9:51 AM   #5

wildman has a good point about the cost of ink over the life of the printer. I refill my own cartridges and found the instructions how to so at the following link:
http://www.oddparts.com/ink/toner.htm
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 11:31 PM   #6

Default i850 vs. 7150

The Canon is a much faster printer in all modes, photo, text and graphics. The Canon also is a true borderless 4x6 and 8.5x11 printer, whereas the HP uses a tabbed paper for 4x6 "borderless" that you must tear a tab off of when it is done printing, and the HP cannot do a 8.5x11 borderless print. Also, with the HP, to get true 4800 dpi photos you must remove the black cartridge and replace it with the photo cartridge. If you purchase ink retail the Canon will be much cheaper to operate.......about 30-50% cheaper. If you refill or buy generic ink I cannot comment on cost. Good luck on your purchase, they are both good machines.
rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 2:35 AM   #7

Depending on what you really want to do.

Epson right now has a rebate of 75 dollars if you buy and epson 825 or 925 and a olympus digital camera. Both of these printers will do true borderless on 4x6,5x7,8x10, letter . The epson has probably more papers availibe than just about anyone. Not to mention the cheapest. You can pickup epson premium glossy rolls of paper for 15 bucks for basically 50 4x6s. This paper is comparable to the canon photo pro paper. Or the HP premiu gloss.
Also epson seems to put out the sharpest clearest pictures out of the bunch. When we did the prints here in the store you coudl see the difference side by side. Although the canon you could'nt see much difference until you put it side by side.

HP ink is very expensive and the technology in the printer is'nt the greatest since you will have to replace your HP ink about every two refills. Epson printheads are permanent but fear not about your clogging problems there are vast resources on teh web that if you type epson printhead cleaning on any search engine you will most likely come along something that will fix your problem.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 9:56 AM   #8

Epson is a great photo unit as well, but most of them are very slow printing photos at max resolution.
rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:59 AM   #9

Default I have i850

I've had my i850 for about 2 weeks and I am amazed. I previously used a HP for Christmas cards and always regreted not being able to print to the edges. I can now, easily. And I never would believe how fast the envlopes came through the printer! Flawless! The picture quality is excellent. Since I can't be sure of longevity I am having Ofoto do any prints for sale. The print quality would be fine, though.
Daryl at www.natures-paradise.net
daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:29 PM   #10

Actually We did some print samples and discovered the canon printers weakness. It lies in the black areas and shadow details since it does not use a photo optimised black.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote