Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:20 PM   #1

Default Switch from parallel to firewire port?

If I want to do this, should I uninstall and reinstall for firewire, or will it automatically recognize the printer on the firewire port just by switching it over? I'm leary of messing it up since it works so well. On that note what's the fastest USB, firewire or parallel? Is it a noticeable difference in most cases? Using an Epson 2200 w/ PIII 600.

Thanks, 5150
Mr5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:46 PM   #2

Why do you want to do it? If everyting is working fine, maybe you're just punishing yourself to gain a tiny bit more speed. At my advanced age I'm a proponent of IITABDFI. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 8:53 PM   #3

I'd like to use the parallel port for an older printer dedicated to text...thanks
Mr5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 12:44 AM   #4

Now I know what you're trying to do...

I have run two printers, an old parallel port one for text and a USB one on the same computer with no problem under Windows 98 and XP. All you have to do is just install the new printer using Explorer and it'll work fine. No need to uninstall the existing printer first. When you print, the default printer will show up in the dialogue box, but you can switch to the alternate printer by clicking on the down arrow to select the second printer. You can make either printer as the default.

Firewire is the fastest of the three connections, then USB and then parallel. I suspect you'll see little speed difference, tho' I found that the USB printer (Epson 1270) wanted to be directly connected to the computer, ie not through a hub. When I connected through my USB hub, the 1270 would sometimes lose communications with the computer and abort long print jobs. That has never happened when connected directly.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote