Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 27, 2005, 11:01 AM   #1

Just a question about the ink usage on the Canon ip5000. I know the printer benefits by not using any diluted colours in printing - but how does the smaller 1pl drop size affect ink usage? Does it make ink usage even less?

Also about selecting 1pl, I seem to be hearing alot of people suggesting that you can use it only with Canon Paper Pro, but surely you can select that while having the profile etc set up for different paper?
Diasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:24 PM   #2

The ink usage between the ip4000 and the ip5000 are the same, although the ip5000 uses the 1 pl heads...!

Consider printing a one inch block say, the ip5000 with the 1 pl head will use the exact same amount of ink as the ip4000 with the 2 pl head.

The ip4000 will print 4800 x 1200 dots in the 1 inch block using 2 pl droplets.

The ip5000 will print 9600 x 2400 dots in the 1 inch block using 1 pl droplets - that is with exactly half amount of ink as the 2 pl head.

This is about the easiest way I can explain it, taking the settings in consideration.

Note:
4800 and 9800 is the horozontal resolution, that it the number of dots or droplets in a 1 inch horozontal line.

1200 and 2400 is the vertical resolution, this is the number of dots or droplets in a 1 inch vertical line.

The 1 inch block will contain-:
5760000 dots for the ip4000
23040000 dots for the ip5000

Hope that explains it.

Edit:
Emmm... don't sound right this because there are four times as many dots as the ip4000 - this would indicate that the ip5000 would use 4 times the amount of ink.....Sorry folks not so sure now, maybe someone could help us out here.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 8:36 PM   #3

Is pl a measurement of volume or something linear?

If it's the radius of a drop then

4/3[pie]r^3

1pl = 4.19
2pl = 33.51

So if there are 4 drops at size 1pl for every one of 2pl

Then the ip5000 would use 16.76 to the ip4000's 33.51.

I'm sure this isn't right but surely the advantage of using 1pl drop size means the ink is placed more precisely and less is wasted by acting as superfluous ink on the paper ?

Asking another way how does ink usuage of current generation printers compare with printers from the past with larger droplet sizes?
Old Feb 28, 2005, 6:35 AM   #4

Nice one, top of class for that one.
In my reply I never give the ratio a thought (hence my edit - and didn't really think after that), so guess I will have to do my homework, pay more attention and report to 'headmaster'.

Can't see the droplets being linear because of the volume being used as in draught, text and photo settings, but the maximum volume that a nozzle can 'squirt' has gotta ba 1 pl surely.

But even so, from various sites and reports, the ink consumption is still quite respectable compared to other printer brands and cheaper to run.

Bear in mind this is only relative to printing 1 inch blocks - firing on all cylinders.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:54 PM   #5

Of course, this ONLY pertains when "Photo Paper Pro" is seclected as media (irrespective of what paper is actually loaded).

In all other media choices, the iP5000 prints in 2pl drops - just like the iP4000.

Something Canon mentions deep in the specs and willadmit to in written response to tech. questions, but goes to great length to obscure in advertising.

So, yes, you can save a few pico cents on ink BUT Canon more than makes up for it in paper costs. aranoid:
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:42 PM   #6

Oh dear looks like we've hit rocket science here, don't wanna hi-jack Diasper here, but just had to reply.

I can agree with Arklab when he say's it depends on the settings, which raises another question.... how can ya get 2 pl out of a 1 pl nozzle (may be I've missed the boat here)?

2 pl is gonna make a bigger splash both in volume and size, so out comes the photo paper into the printer driver, best photo settings here we come...and then what? Which I was trying to answer, we squirt less ink or we squirt smaller dots.

unlike birds I did'nt succeeds
Old Feb 28, 2005, 8:42 PM   #7

I think it was Tom's Hardware Guide who did an economy test of both the ip4000 and the ip5000. The resutls were slightly lower ink consumption on the ip5000 overall but nothing to write home about.
lebaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2005, 5:42 AM   #8

I just read and found the tomshardware.com article, but I don't think tomshardware was using the printer at its proper 1pl size droplet as the speed of the ip5000 as not far off the ip4000 when it should be about double...

I guess this is another scenario of pcmag and the others not setting their tests up to take full advantage of the ip5000's specification.

Refering to printing times:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consume...rinter-07.html- charts with printing times.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/pri...000/page-4.htm- where the time was effectively doubled.

I think in short, tomshardware can be taken with a large pinch of salt - a comment I've heard repeated in manyIT enthusiast communities.

Is this back to the same question then?

Also,for anyone who has this printer - is there anyway to select the 1pl size (through the canon paper selection) and still use different paper? eg Ilford Classic Pearl

Old Mar 3, 2005, 3:00 AM   #9

It is very easy to select the 1pl outputwithanypaper you are using. On the Main Peinter Preference Page,Under Media TypeSelect Photo Paper Pro.Then under Print Quality, select Custom, then adjustthe slider to 1.

However, some papers react differently with Photo Paper Pro selection. I did some test using Kirkland (re-branded Ilford) Glossy and PhotoPaper Pro settings. Results were very good using the Ilford Smooth High Glossy Printer profile. More Info here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...263502#p263502
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote