Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 1, 2005, 2:35 PM   #1
Uli

Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy a new printer, and I have done quite some research so I am aware of the basics pros and cons of the printers (here in Germany I do get the CD/DVD printing option ).

BUT there are two remaining issues (no comments on follow up costs, please, I am aware of that issue):

1. I do require a very good text output quality, since I want to use the printer for application print outs. Some reviews say the hp is a bit better here. Can anyone tell me if the IP 4000 is "good" enough (this means close to or like laser print as the hp is supposed to be)?

2. I heard of sunlight issues with Canon ink which results in the colors becoming a lot worse after some time. The 6540's ink is supposed to be much more resistent here. I do not want to print a photo that's crap after a year. Any comments?

I'd really appreciate any help as I am tired of hours of research. If it were not for the two mentioned issues I'd go straight for the ip4000.

Cheers,

Uli
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:26 PM   #2

I have an iP4000 and am generally satisfied. The text is nice at best quality, but it is slow at that setting. I was accustomed to the nice black text from my old HP even in draft mode. My Canon text was dark gray unless I used best quality. I refilled my large Canon black cartridge with some good WJ1010 black ink I had left over from the HP and my draft text is now black and comes out fast. Best quality text is good with both Canon and aftermarket ink. You would probably be happier with the HP text if you don't want to print everything at best quality.

The iP4000 isn't my primary photo printer but I do use it often for that. Regardless of what others have said, it appears the printer does use the pigmented black tank for photos on premium glossy photo paper. The WJ1010 ink I now have in it seems to lay down too much black. You wouldn't have that problem using Canon ink. The WJ1010 ink works fine on matte photo paper and plain paper graphics.

Paper is more important than ink comparing dye based ink longevity. They all fade in sunlight, but some will last a long time with Canon ink. Some papers like Kodak Ultima swell to enclose the ink and supposedly give very long life with dye based inks. Unless HP has released some new inks, Canon is generally considered to be a little longer lasting in photos.

You might want to refer to Welhelm for some current data on that: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/articles.html

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote