Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 2, 2005, 4:42 PM   #1

I have been looking and looking for profiles for my Canon Pixma MP-750. I can only find profiles meant for Canon paper as the printer came with these profiles.

Truely I am looking for profiles for Kirkland paper but I know thats a long shot. Many folks say that Kirkland is Ilford Galarie Pearl so I wanted to try Ilford's profile but they do not make one for the MP-750. I am hoping that the MP750 is close enough to one of the other Canon photo printers that I can use another's profile.

The MP750 prints in CMYK, 4 colour, using the BCI-6 cartridges. It also uses a BCI-3 but I believe that is only used when printing text or on plain paper.

Update: on paper the Pixma MP 750 looks to be the same as the Pixma ip4000. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.

David
David Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 1:58 AM   #2

I just tried the Ilford Smooth High Gloss profile for the Canon Pixma ip4000 and it worked wonderfully. Thats just one print and I am by no means an expert but the picture looked exactly as I thought it should. I will reserve the right to change my mind until I've seen it under day light

Update: under day light it looks good too.

David
Old Mar 16, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3

Dave, I have been doing some more experimenting.

Here is what I have come up with using Costco Kirkland Glossy paper (re-branded Ilford) on my iP5000 with a difficult, cropped, contrasty, sunset people/beach, water reflection scene:

Printing from Qimage;

With Monitorat sRGB Color Space Profile, useCanon PR1 Printer Profile, Rendering/Intent = Perceptual, No Black point compensation, with Media Type= Photo Paper Pro, Print Quality=Custom(1), Color Adjustment=Manual-Print Type=None, Effects=No Vivid, Image Opt, Photo Opt-Throughout....Good, slightly over saturatedresults.

Same settings using Ilford Paper/Printer profile, very close to Spot on.

With Adobe RGB (1998) Monitor Profile, using same printer preference settings:

Using the Canon PR1 Printer profile = almost spot on

Using Ilford Smooth High Glossy Paper/Printer profile=good but slightly over saturated results.

This time my preference would go to Adobe RGB (1998) & Canon PR1 color management combo, with the sRGB/Ilford combo, a close second.

Interesting to see that the monitor profiles affected the printer output.

With your Pixma MP-750, as you already know,try the iP4000 printer profiles.

I would be interested in hearing your results on difficult prints.

By the way with my Canon,I am printing in Qimage, Custom size pre cut sheetsof 5-1/2" X 8-1/2" (Letter size cut in half) centered, with 1/8th" borders. I am really appreciating the flexability/capability of this program.

Took a little time to set up as Canon driver would want to print off center. But now have it dialed in.

FYI, in Canon Printer Preferences, I set paper size to Letter, Portrait Mode, Borderless, No over spray extension. In Qimage I set Print size=Custom, Specific Size = 8.48 X 5.48, and a border of 0.10, and press the crop to size button. On Edit Page I set Print location by centering the image, then relocate image to top of page with Print location numbers of left & right = 0.01, top = 0.00, bottom = 5.52. In the Document box page orientation is Portrait, with Placement = Optimal.

The settings are different for an Epson R300, but the approach similar.

I select one image at a time to print, placing it in the top print image box (there will be two boxes displayed for this size print on letter size paper). Once I have set this up in Qimage, it is just a matter of swapping images to be printed. If I print to a different printer with different settings,Qimage remembers & holds my Canon printer settings and links them to my chosen printer profile. I still have to verify print size, border & print placementin Qimage, and double check in my Print preview window when 1st entering the program. So good to have these settingsaccessable somewhere for reference.
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:34 AM   #4

Monitor profiles?

If you are referring to sRGB vs Adobe RGB those are not monitor profiles they are colour gamuts. Imagine them as two different pallets but whose colour ranges differ here and there. It is well explained in that Canon pdf.

If thats not what you meant what are you referring to?

David
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:09 AM   #5

Ah, thank you for reminding me to look at that PDF again. I'll read it again, with more attentiveness to color gamut.

Later;

Dave, I really want to thank you in questioning what I was saying, By re-reading the PDF, I caught an error in basic printer setup that was throwing my prints askew when using the Canon Profiles. And I have a better understanding of Gamut

I am now using the Canon SP2 (Photo Paper Plus Glossy) with ICM checked and feel my results to be more accurate to original. Thanks again

dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote