Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 2, 2005, 9:27 PM   #1

I recently purchased two i9900 units, one for work and one for home. I was trying to print a photo at work, but no matter what settings I chose for printing (usually let Photoshop CS manage color with Canon ProPhoto paper profiles and Canon inks and ProPhoto paper). I printed many copies, all with a distinct pink tint (especially some grey steps). I talked with canon support, but it was soon obvious that I probably knew more than my contact on this particular subject. I then took the photo file home and printed it on my other i9900 and the print was near perfect. I ensured that all settings were exactly as configured for the unit at work. This suggests that something might be wrong with the unit at work. Any suggestions on my situation would be greatly appreciated. I did notice than when I did the alignment test that the cyan color never produced a smooth solid color (equally spaced vertical lines instead) - all of the options looked exactly the same for that particular block. For all of the other colors for alignment, a smooth properly filled area was obvious. For the unit at home, all of the colors filled nicely and alignment choices were obvious. That may have no bearing on my problem.

Steve
skcskcskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2005, 10:11 PM   #2

Try swapping the two. Take the home one to work and/or vice versa.

David
David Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 8:22 PM   #3

David

I sort of took your advice. I printed a version from by apple G4 notebook (instead of my tower - Apple G5) at work; it had the same pink cast. I then took the notebook home and printed the same image, and it is near perfect. In this case, the only real difference is the different Canon i9900. I conclude that there is an issue with my unit at work. In addition, I found that I was sold a refurblished unit as new (this was discovered when I gave Canon my serial number). I was upset since the seller never indicated this and the price didn't reflect such (plus only 3 month warranty vs 1 yr). I think that this is illegal, and I am asking for a replacement or a refund. If I don't get satisfaction, the seller will never get my business again (which want have much of an impact). However, I will spread the news to friends and colleagues. They really shouldn't do the customer this way!

Steve
skcskcskc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:06 PM   #4

i know this exchange re canon i9900 is a year old, but i'm wondering if you got to the bottom of the problem...because i'm having it now. my printer worked beautifully for a year and now i've got the pint-tint plague. it prints pretty close to right on, colorwise, on bad paper...but if i use glossy or better quality matte finish, everything goes pink. this is a serious problem and i haven't even tried to call canon yet---i'm hoping you figured it out.not tickled pink,ph
peter hannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:17 AM   #5

peter hannan wrote:
Quote:
i know this exchange re canon i9900 is a year old, but i'm wondering if you got to the bottom of the problem...because i'm having it now. my printer worked beautifully for a year and now i've got the pint-tint plague. it prints pretty close to right on, colorwise, on bad paper...but if i use glossy or better quality matte finish, everything goes pink. this is a serious problem and i haven't even tried to call canon yet---i'm hoping you figured it out.not tickled pink,ph
I am in exactly the same spot. Prints suddenly are turning pinkish. Any answers anywhere???

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:35 PM   #6

It actually seems like the problem occurred since I recently switched some cartridges (my suspicion is it was the cyan) to the ones from the 8-pack from amazon for $64, including shipping, the cheapest price anywhere. Are those true Canon OEM's???
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:12 PM   #7

pretty sure it happens no matter what price ink i use...canon, staples, etc. however, since my first post i've realized that the pink plague only occurs when printing on glossy. matte paper of all kinds is making for pretty right on color. the plot thickens, i mean sickens...
peter hannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:23 PM   #8

I learned it the hard way, and I now only use Canon branded inks, no compatibles. I have tried many brands and they always have given me banding issues, off-color hues (largely greenish), and destroyed 4 printheads in a year. Therefore only genuine Canon inks for me. I bit the bullet and pay the extra money. This is the firsttime I am having any issues with Canon inks. I will buy another cyan cartridge this weekend and replace it, and see if that makes a difference. My suspicion is that the one I got in the 8-pack from amazon (also Canon branded) did the deed, because that is when the "pink problem" started.

Rainer
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:26 AM   #9

Hi
I got the very same problem and I found a way after lot of work and wasted paper and ink (thanks canon :-( )

I am french so I ll translate approximately to what should be the english interface

also this is done within Win XP

first you have to go to the Printer properties and use the "maintenance" tab

then you should find a "personal parameters " (with small printer icon w/o the moon)

in this window you uncheck the [auto] "paper identification" button

unchecking it results in the following

when you check "regular paper" in the printing setup window, the driver wil not try to identify the paper but will use the regular paper profile wich gives the correct colors.

otherwise, it will detect that you use non regular paper and will apply a bogus profile that will result in greenish prints

now with the auto paper detection disabled, the printer will use regular paper profile, and it yields much better results (!) than photo paper profile.

also in the "color management" tab I selected "manual" default profile and choose the CNBJPRN2 profile as the default profile. Not sure if it is required, I have to check.

just let me know if that works for you

however i still have a big problem with CD/DVD printing

when I select the CD tray, I CANNOT select the "regular paper" , so the driver use again a specific profile for CD that again yields green printing

If someone has the same problem and found or even tried something I would be glad to hear it
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:33 PM   #10

hiI have i 965 thats has just started to print with a strong magenta or pink colour its true i also found that on plain paper its ok i have also found this to be common on other cannon models .

I used alot of ink and paper trying to sort it out was going to buy new head but nowI dont think it would have solved theproblem ,I can live with this for the time being but i wondered do we loose print quality on the photo because if you use the plain paper setting but try to alter the quality in the custom setting it reverts to the pinky colour and i mean pink panther yuk,can cannon give a solution I wonder ?
lestrex is offline   Reply With Quote