Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 3, 2005, 5:55 PM   #1

just bought my printer a few weeks ago. I have been trying it out on digital pictures I took and pictures I scanned. I like how rich the color is but I don't like how they come out too dark. am I doing something wrong? what can I do to make the printed picture come out as it looks on the original. Was this a good choice for a printer or is there something beter I could have picked.?
tabbygail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2005, 6:45 PM   #2

What program are you printing from? Sometimes it is a good idea to compare the output direct from camera through the simple photo print software that came with the printer.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:50 PM   #3

From Steve's excellent review of the iP4000 pg 3:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...p4000_pg3.html
Quote:
Clicking on the Manual button for Color Correction lets you manually adjust the individual colors as well as the intensity. Here you can enable/disable ICM color matching and select a Print Type (Auto, Photo, Graphic, None) and Brightness (Light, Normal, Dark) setting.

and

pg4:
Quote:
The Effects page lets turns your photo into a simulated color illustration, slide the lever to increase or decrease the effect. You can also create a monochrome effect like Sepia, Pink, Blue, Green or select a custom color. The Vivid Photo option enhances the green and blue colors and contrast and may be too much for some images. You can also enable or disable the Image Optimizer or Photo Optimizer PRO enhancements which help produce better enlargements from lower resolution images. The Photo Noise Reduction option helps reduce speckle noise often found in blue areas such as the sky. It has two settings: Normal and Strong.

and somewhere, someone reported that going from one of the "Auto" settings to "manual" helped greatly. He just left the settings alone, but used manual.
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:06 AM   #4

I've found that the best way to improve printouts and to get accurate colours is to use genuine Canon papers. When using Epson papers my printouts are dark and dull. But with Canon papers the change is amazing, bright, vibrant and accurate. I couldn't believe the difference. And yes, using manual instead of auto will help too especially if not using Canon papers. When left on auto, the printer decides what's best. Sometimes it's better not to let it decide to make adjustmentsitself.
pbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:29 PM   #5

ok thanks i'll try that. haven't been able to do anything lately cause been real busy.
tabbygail is offline   Reply With Quote