Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 28, 2002, 9:09 PM   #1

Default Canon S900 and what I found,

Well I must talk about the lack if information provided in the driver install 1st.
I had problems with the drive, it would not install? Message was I had a pending print job and needed to clear it before the driver would install. Ok, I did not find anything in the help file about this problem. After a call to teck support I learnd that I needed to type spool in the run comand line to open up the spool file. I had 4 jobs pending? Never had any indication of them thought?

After the driver installed, time to try out the S900.
I printed some text files, no problem.
Then I printed four photos, and they looked ok,,,, but not what I thought they would look like. So off to find out why?
RTFM! I found out that you must align the print head. Doh!

The next photo I printed a full 8.5x11 with 2 shots on it. Big and hard to hide flaws.

Wow this is a fine printer! I am shocked, this is a what you see is what you get type printer.. Fast and good; so I think I just may have got my moneys worth this time.

Steve you are correct, the Canon S900 is a fine printer.
Jimsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2002, 12:38 AM   #2

ITs a good printer. Fast quiet and prints good quality prints. An EPson will print better but you would never notice untill you put the same prints side by side. 6 inches apart you can't tell the difference. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 12:28 PM   #3

Gregersonsalvage
witch Epson is better? the 2200?

I have had bad luck with Epson print heads, repairs cost more than the printer did.-(

Thanks
Jimsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 1:05 AM   #4

n the luster or the semigloss however I think the 2200 would probably win also on black and whites. The 2200 prints some of the most detailed textures and reflections I've ever seen out of a printer. The 9000 compared right next to it you can still see the subtle differences. But the 2200 is still new printer so color profiling is still on the new side. Archival ability is incredible. ALthough if you want your canon prints to last longer use epson colorlife paper and set it to the slower setting.

Depends which epson you get and how you treat it for the print head clogs. These printers need to be used at least once a month and also you should just leave the printer on all the time another thing is to not use off brand ink. I have an epson 980 which I have 2 yrs going into its 3rd year every once in a while I'll get a head clog but nothing I can't run a few cleaning cycles to get rid of. I think the reall part of the game is patience and knowing what to do. In my experience with epson printers is if you have clog problems do 3 cleaning cycles that usually if not always gets rid of the problem. I have had to do more but mainly with offbrand ink or when a printer has been sitting with the printhead out of position for long periods of time. I also use my printer for over 500 pages a month so the print head rarely has a chance to clog.

I've been comparing the epson 925 to the canons latest prints. Side by side you can see the subtle differences in sharpness and contrast. I might say 1280 but I have not printed the same prints yet so I have none to compare with. Im' willing to bet epson will be releasing a replacement for the 1280 in the springtime comparable to the 960. I'm still waiting to get my hands on an epson 960 they are currently availible on epson.com but not in any of the retailers.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote