Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 28, 2002, 10:16 PM   #1

Default Looking for a nice photo printer...

Hello-

I'm looking for a nice photo printer, that can produce really good photos, but also work well printing the occassional page of text. I want to keep the cost under $400 though. What's the best printer?

Thanks.

TM
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:12 AM   #2

I just bought a CANNON S900 Yesterday. Trust me, the quality and SPEED are UNREAL!

Steve is right, this printer is amazing.

Not that it makes justice, but the photo below is a SCANNED image the S900 printed:

So, imagine the actual printout.

I have a pretty good (for the money) scanner: Visioneer 8100, but still, the actual image looks photo-lab developed!
evangelos K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:00 AM   #3

Matrix,

Up the ante, speed a $100 more and get the S9000. Same speed and quality as the S900, but you get 13 x 19 prints! I often use the ArcSoft or the Easyphoto print software (supplied with printer) to produce 13 x 19 proof sheets so that I won't waste a lot of paper on shots I don't want.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 12:57 AM   #4

UP the resolution on that picture scan to 2400 dpi and zoom in on it and you'll see it for its true clarity.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 5:51 PM   #5

Default bought the Canon 9000

The Canon 9000 is a great photo printer, if that is what you are looking for. I bought it at Dbuys for about $400.
Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 7:52 PM   #6

Still a HP fan. I recommend the HP 5550. It can print in either 4 or 6 colors. It will produce excellent photos. It is not as fast as the S900 but it is also $250 cheaper. I refill my own ink cartridges to reduce the cost of ink supplies. You can check this site for more information on refilling:
http://www.oddparts.com/ink/toner.htm
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 8:48 AM   #7

I bought my Canon S900 for $250 at CompUSA. Originaly, I got it for $300, but 5 days after, Best Buy droped the price to $250... so I went back to CompUSA and got $50 back
evangelos K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 2:24 PM   #8

To echo Mr. Gibson a bit, but up the ante, let me share what I posted from another thread. If you're willing to look at HP, let me suggest the HP Photosmart 7350, which I just picked up the other day from Sam's Club for $197, including USB cable and extra black cartridge. I compared, at another store, photos made on Canon S820D and HP7350 (also a D printer) from my CompactFlash card, using the best paper for each. Couldn't tell the practical difference with 4x6 size, or with an 8x magnifier I brought along. Further, the 7350 made a fine print on cheap (7mill) Kodak paper, while the Canon made a mess of that one. Color rendition on the HP was dead on, and I can't find any grain or pixels with an 8x magnifier, with my camera only being a Canon 2.0. BTW, the D idea is terrific! My son had his Sony over with a memory stick, and we could print off a couple of shots, as well as with my own CompactFlash card. Further, you have 7 gradations of lightness/darkness on the D approach, which I hadn't realized until I got it home. I sound enthused, and am. A great deal! Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:27 PM   #9

Old rooster. You may be able to print on the cheap kodak paper. But there are also compatable kodak papers for the canon. I have not finalised the research yet. BUt the biggest problem with the HP tends to be ink. They have the highest cost of ink out of any printer on the market including lexmark. Plus the HP can only do 4x6 prints on paper that has a perforation or an extra little space for the HP to finish up a 4x6. In contrast the canon can print on 4x6 and letter sized sheets borderless. Or even the epson which can do 4x6,5x7,8x10,letter,up to 4x44,up to 5x44,up to 8.3x44 borderless prints.

Plus the canon beats them all at speed. The HP if set at 4800dpi takes a prohibitive amount of time to print.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 4:01 PM   #10

Gregorsonsalvage: Just a couple of points in reply. The Canon 830D lists for $350, while the 820D lists for $300. My HP 7350 was $197 - quite a difference. Secondly, as to paper, it was significant to me to compare "apples to apples." So, while there may be some Kodak papers which will work just fine with the 820/830, the particular one I chose for each printer (soft gloss 7 mil) worked great with the HP, and lousy (runny, blotched) with the Canon. Thirdly, the little tab is fine; it helps handling the print when it initially comes out and is easily cut off later. Fourthly, as to speed, the Canon 820D print took 62 seconds, the HP 7350 84 seconds - no biggie, at least to me. Your point about various sizes is well taken, but one other point I would make is that the HP is more conducive, I believe, as an all-round printer (black & white), with the text from the black cartridge being outstanding. Finally, it's all a toss up in many ways, and I had $200 to spend, which put different constranits on me than if I had $400. Thanks, Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote