Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 5, 2005, 5:02 PM   #1

As the title suggests, why did canon design their cartridge in such a way that half of it holds the ink and the other half contains a piece of sponge? what purpose does it serve?

I have seen a site selling spongeless cartridges (bci-6 n bci-3) for refills, anyone know if they are safe to b used?
wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:09 PM   #2

Canon has always had sponges, they just didn't have the ink tank in the distant past. HP uses sponges for their color ink with no tank. I haven't had a chance to take an Epson cartridge apart.

I think the question is why they added the tank. I think it is to measure the ink. Canon has the only printers that directly measures the ink.

You would get a little more ink in a spongeless tank but not as much as you might imagine. I completely emptied a photo black cartridge and the sponge. When I filled the tank the sponge absorbed all of the ink in the tank.

I haven't tried the spongeless tanks. I am happy with the sponge. When the tank warns it is low the tank is about dry. That gives me plenty of time to refill it before it goes dry. With a spongeless tank you aren't going to get much warning I would guess. And I would think everyone uses the sponges for a reason. The spongeless tanks might work fine though and give you a little more ink.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:23 AM   #3

thanks for the info.

I din realise that canon n hp always used sponge in their cartridges. I had always used epson b4 recently converting to canon. I have no idea whether epson uses sponge in their tanks wat with them being opaque. Anyway, i guess there's no real advantage in switching to spongeless cartridges then.

wernehawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4

Epson individual cartridges are foamless/spongeless. Due to their pigmented inks, they have to be foamless. Epson uses a valve to regulate the ink flow in their cartridges.They're also not just one big compartment with ink, but a series of chambers filled with ink connected to the main valve. I find that they hold more ink, but there is still some ink leftover to protect the print head. I think Canon wanted to find a way to put more ink in their cartridges, but with a way that it wouldn't drip every time somebody goes to replace one. The sponge is a cheap way to regulate the ink flow, and it provides a consistent flow as long as the ink level is not too low.
JonathanV112 is offline   Reply With Quote