Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 30, 2002, 8:36 AM   #1

Default Canon S820 vs. Canon i850

Help, I'm stuck in the decision making process. I've narrowed my choices down to these two (ruling out HP). After Canon rebates, S820 is $150; while i850 is $170. S820 has 6 colors, while i850 has 4 but reviews suggest it has "newer technology," whatever that practically means. Primarily I want to print 4x6's, from old slides scanned and my new Canon A20. I've ruled out the extra bucks for on-printer reader (the "D" series). Appreciate your opinions and thoughts as to picture quality between the two (does the 6 vs. 4 cartridges make a real difference), overall useage capability (black & white occasional printing - quality not a concern here). BTW, Canon says 2400/1200 color resolution for the S820 and 4800/1200 for the i850 - does that mean anything practically? Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2002, 6:44 PM   #2

Roster,

Go with the S820 if you are looking for photo quality, especially photos of people. The two extra colors will provide smoother gradations and more detail. Don't get caught up in the DPI game. Look at the prints. The new technology used in the i850 involves using a combination of 2 pico liter and 5 pico liter nozzles. One for detail and the larger size for coverage.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 12:48 AM   #3

Yeah its so easy to market a number. But if you wanna play the numbers game. The epson uses 8 different droplet sizes on thier latest photo printers. 825-925 When it prints all it uses are the 3 best droplett sizes according to the paper you are using. Hence photo quality on any paper.

Don't forget the 820 also uses two droplet sizes. The real difference here is that the 850 is designed for speed text and the 820 is designed for photos.

i850 uses a small droplet but when doing color photos it uses the colors to print blacks. THats why you will get weak shades or dark areas. I have'nt managed to tune this print enough to get the dark areas to come out close to the 820.

For photos the 820 prints signifcantly better gradations in color and it actually uses darker colors. The blacks will be significantly better. I think the only weak part of this printer is probably the distance horizon shading and doing black and whites.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 4:05 AM   #4

Thank you both, very much, for those replies. O.K., I'm going to rule out the i850 (maybe even keep my HP720 for B/W). Now, a follow-up, if I may. Today, at Best Buy, I can get the S900 for $220 after price reduction and BB store credit. The S820 is $150, after Canon rebate. Is the S900 worth the extra $70? Or is the issue only one of speed being difference, assuming quality is the same? Thanks, again. Old Rooster
Old Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 11:45 AM   #5

S900 is twice as fast due to its larger printhead. I also forgot to mention check your prints closely every 3 or 4 months for lines. For some reason I'm noticing slight horizontal lines on these printers in less than a year. I'm not sure if it comes from printhead clogging/wear(printhead replacement) or if it comes from printhead alignment issues(easy fix).
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote