Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 13, 2005, 5:21 AM   #1
djr

I already have an Epson R300 that is pretty damned impressive with photos but I find at standard settings text output is pretty poor. (Older Epson printers handle this better).

I have been looking at getting a multi function unit and found some very nice reviews on the Canons ability with photos etc. However, there seems to be very little mention nowadays about a printers ability to print text, so has anyone used the Canon Pixma MP780? What is text output like, particularly on plain paper settings. What about ink useage?
djr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:58 AM   #2

Text-printing quality is very good, the Canon Pixma MP780 has a special pigmented ink (BCI-3Bk) which is used for BW prints. For foto-prints the dye-based BCI-6Bk black is uses.
iWiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:51 PM   #3
djr

I am assuming you are using this model. Can you advise what ink useage is like?

Does the black cartridge last a decent time? I read somewhere that Canon reckon on somewhere in the region of 1500 pages but their reference seems different to others so I couldnt fathom what that meant in the real world.

thanks

David
Old May 3, 2005, 7:23 AM   #4
djr

Update.

I bought this unit and in general am very happy. Text quality for an inkjet is good, much better than my Epson Photo R300 and even better than my old Epson's. Photo quality is ok but nowhere near as good as my Epson. As a stand alone unit it is ok. Good text, decent graphichs photo's ok until you check them beside the Epson then the differences really show.

Duplex printing works great.

Scan quality is excellent. Did a scan of my daughters school photo and can now produce (printing on the Epson) a bigger copy that looks to my untrained eye every bit as good as the original. I did manage to get a strange colour cast when trying to copy a printed A4 sheet (inkjet printed I think) but the whites were fine and when scanning copying other docs there seems to be no problem.

All in all it is a good machine generally. very good with text, good graphics, ok to good photos. The photos may improve with some good profiles but they tend to look a little flat compared to the Epson.

Black seems to come out a bit matt at times as well.

All in very happy with it for the use I have planned.