Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:22 PM   #1

Default Printer for small home-based biz

I'm currently debating the need for an in-house printer in my soon-to-be home based digital photography business.

Would it be cheaper to buy a printer? Figuring out total cost per page is difficult as each shoot will be different and so will the print sizes that each client wants. I'm even looking at a dual solution; get a sub-dye at home for 4x6 prints and farm out larger sizes to print shops.

Anyone with experience in this subject willing to give sugestions/opinions would be great.

Also, printer solutions; make/model for this type of small business would help too.

Thanks!
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2002, 8:31 PM   #2

How large would your largest prints be?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 8:48 PM   #3

Hi gibsonpd3620,

I have the Sony F717 so if a client asks for a quality 11x17 print I'd like to say yes. Basically, whatever the camera can produce I want the printer to handle it...quality comes first and foremost though.

However, as I mentioned before the cost per page / ink refills are a concern as compared with getting someone to do the prints for me.
Or the other plan of getting a good dye-sub and getting the printshop to do all the larger size prints.

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2002, 9:40 PM   #4

Koruvs...

Running a business might require two printers, one for business stuff, like letters and another for photo output.

When you talk large photo output, you'll need a wide carriage printer. There are many available including Canon 9000 and Epson 2000. Look at Steve's reviews on this site.

It doesn't make a lot of economical sense to print invoices or envelopes on a wide carriage photo printer. Windows (and Apple) will let you run two priners on the same computer. The are lots of inexpensive laser printers which are cheap to run for your "business" stuff.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 9:42 PM   #5

oops... meant to say Epson 2200...

Steve just added a new review of this printer.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:15 PM   #6

Hi Wildman,

I already have an IBM 4019 Laser workhorse, its been running without issue since 1991, when we bought our first computer, a 386/20! I also have an Epson Stylus Color 880 for basic print outs etc.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 1:23 AM   #7

Epson 880 is a nice quiet printer very basic and practically built just right. I sold alot of those. I liked that printer. But for your needs with professional photography and high volume photo printing. You might want to check below.

I might suggest this epson 7600 Due to its larger ink cartridges giving you more ink for your money plus its capability to print larger formats. Also it still has an incredible archival rating. This printer is availible in the dye ink version and chrome ink versions. The Dye ink version should yeild higher colors than the chrome inks but you will lose the archival ability. I have seen incredible prints come off the 2200 which is basically the same quality as 7600. But they seem to lack that incredible shine I got out of the 5500.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/W...ormat+Printers

Also you might want to consider the pro 5500 printer. This printer does have a lower resolution than the 7600 but it also has a smaller droplet size and true archival quality inks. I have seen some prints with it and they look incredible literally looks better than a photograph(i'm not kidding). It also has a dual tray and goes up to 13x19.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/W...ormat+Printers

You might want to also contact the epson store and ask for a sales rep in the professional graphics section to find out what your needs warrant (800) 873-7766

Ultimatly the epson tends to work out better for graphics professionals who sell prints more colors, accessories, papers and support tend to be availible to these users.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 6:43 AM   #8

If you select to print your own prints, I would go with the Epson 2200. The Cannon S9000 would also be a good printer.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 1:38 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help and effort people. I'll look into the Epson 2200 and Canon S9000 options. As much as I'd like the Epson 5500 and 7600 are way out of my price range...definatly worth a look if the business takes off! :-)

Thanks again!