Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:44 PM   #11

Benito - I took your initial and printed color images, converted them to a CYMK colorspace and separated the C,M,Y and K channels. The following image has the initial "computer" image on the left and the printed image on the right (at slightly different scales). There are 5 vertical copies in each column - the color composite, followed by the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black channels.

This shows that all of the colors are printing, except the black, which isn't being asked to print anything (bottom of image). This shows that the colors are really screwed up, either by a strange ICC profile that is somehow being used or by inks that react strangely with each other.

Are you using OEM or NON-OEM inks? Are they all from the same supplier?

Download the image in the next post and print it on Photo Paper with all color management turned off (Preferences/Main/Color Adjustment=Manual/Set.. Disable ICM, set "Print Type" to "None" and set all other adjustments to 0), using the "Photo Paper Pro" paper selection. Scan it in and post it. It has a number of color gradients that will tell more than just 5 these colors.
Attached Images

grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2005, 5:46 PM   #12

Benito - here is the image that I want you to print.
Attached Images

Old Mar 19, 2005, 7:26 AM   #13

Many thanks for your info. The situation regarding the ink tanks is the following:

Black ink, Photo Cyan and Photo Magenta are original Canon's.

Magenta and Cyan are refilled (local ink brand I've used many times without problems.

Yellow ink tank is not refilled but is a brand they make compatible Canon's cartridges. In fact is Canon BCI-3Y compatible (although I am using it as BCI-6Y). I wanted to try this brand to use it in the future and I started with the yellow. Coud it be the use of a BCI-3Y working as BCI-6Y?? (BCI-3 are easier to find and cheaper as I always thought that they are compatible).

I will print out your pattern in one week, as I just started one week holiday (easter holidays) and I am out of home. Bye.

Benito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 9:10 AM   #14

Benito,

Mixing ink sources isrisky. Consider that the printer is only given "RGB" information - it must convert this into cyan, magenta, yellow and black before printing. To make matters worse, it has to decide when to use magenta or photo magenta (also C/PC), so it uses PM when itneeds a light color and M when itneeds a dark color, transitioning between the two for intermediate colors. If the inks were not designed tobe compatible, the results of this blend are unpredictable. I suspect thatan ink compatibilitymay be your problem. The test print will clearly show if this is the case.
Old Mar 28, 2005, 4:45 AM   #15

Grandad, here you have the scan. The print is on original canon paper pro paper and with no color management. Thanks again.
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:39 AM   #16

Benito,

I separated the cyan, magenta, yellow and black channels from the image and have attached the results. Each channel is presented in a gray scale image where the strength of the gray indicates the intensity of that color.

From the horizontal streaks, at least one of your colors has a partially clogged print head or is starving for ink. Since the streaks are worst on the cyan channel, that narrows it down to cyan or photo cyan. On the cyan channel (top-left image), look at the gradient that starts with "Cyan". The lighter part of the gradient looks OK, and this would be printed with the photo cyan ink. The streaks start as the cyan gets darker, and this is where the cyan ink is used. Of course, your "nozzle test pattern" should show the same thing with a lot less work. I note that your previous images did not show this pattern, so the nozzles must have clogged while the printer was not being used.

Because one of the colors is not printing properly, analyzing the color problem is now much more difficult. The gradients on the magenta, yellow and black channels all look reasonable. The gradients for the cyan channel do not look good, and there appears to be a mismatch between the cyan and photo cyan. This isn't surprising, given that the cyan cart is refilled with ink from a different ink supplier than the OEM Canon photo cyan cart.

It's difficult to say what to do other than to use a complete set of carts with compatible inks. I suspect that once you clean the clogged nozzles that your problem is with the inks, not the printer.
Attached Images

Old Mar 28, 2005, 9:07 AM   #17

Thanks,in factthe horizontal streaks are part of the problem. In the circles scan sent one week ago they did not appear as they were printed on plain paper. It is strange but since the color problem started streaks appear, but only on photo paper.

I did a complete nozzle clean a couple of weeks ago (putting the print head into special liguidall night).

Old May 6, 2005, 9:51 PM   #18

Any resolution to this? I have a similar problem...my S820 suddenly started printing skin tones with a greyish hue rather than the normal pink. I printed that color scale...see below. I have tried countless cleaning and deep cleaning cycles, with no luck. Should I soak the printhead in rubbing alcohol or something? If I do that, what do I do with the print cartridges while they are off the printhead (will they dry out?)\

btw, all ink cartridges are Canon ink.
Attached Images

Bremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 9:29 PM   #19

Bremer,

All of your colors seem to be there, but they all seem to be light. I don't see any sign of cloggednozzles inthe image that you posted. It's hard to tell much more from a scan, as the light colors could also be caused by the scanner settings.

Have you changed any settings in the printer driver? If the colors suddenly changed, it is possible that some of the the color settings or color management selections may have been accidentally changed. If you uninstall and then reinstall the printer, all of the driver settings will be returned to their initial default values.
Old May 8, 2005, 11:18 AM   #20

Thanks, I'll try to uninstall/reinstall.

The only thing that looked odd on the color scale was the second line of the red...where I expected to see it get lighter/pinker towards the left, it actually was greyish blue.
Bremer is offline   Reply With Quote