Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 9, 2005, 9:46 PM   #21

I'm at a loss. I've tried to uninstall / reinstall the printer drivers. I've cleaned and cleaned the printhead, using both the printer clean cycles and hot water and isopropyl alcohol. But I'm still having the same problem. What should be skin color comes out greyish/blueish. Kinda like you see in the red section of the color scale I printed...where you expect pinkish, you get bluish tint.

Now here's the weird part...this only occurs when I print on photo paper pro or glossy photo paper. If I print the same photo on regular letter paper, the colors look fine. I am truly baffled...

Is there anything else that I can do?
Bremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 5:34 AM   #22

I have attached the original, broken into the individual color channels, as well as your copy. The colors in the original are different because it was first converted to CMYK to similate the color shift that will occur in a printer, then back to RGB.

Compare the cyan channel data for the red print - there is cyan in the lighter parts of the red area where it shouldn't be. There is also some cyan in the lighter parts of the magenta print where it shouldn't be. It is almost as though there is a cyan contamination in your photo magenta ink. Of course, this doesn't explain why it prints OK on regular paper.
Attached Images

grandad35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2005, 11:55 AM   #23

Interesting. Does the photocyan ink only get used on photo paper prints? If so, maybe that explains the normal printing on regular paper. I guess I could try replacing the cyan ink tanks....would a defective ink tank cause this sort of problem? I wouldn't think so, especially since they are all Canon ink tanks. But I can't think of anyexplanation for the difference between regular and photo paper.

Old Jun 9, 2005, 3:57 PM   #24

I'm having the same problem with my s820. And I didn't notice until recently that what you said is happening too. In standard mode the colors are fine. It's when I go to photo mode that the not only do the colors change but I get some weird color fringing going on. I have been using generic ink cartridges. Could this be a problem? Do be specific the ink cartridges are from Insten.
Thanks, any help would be great.
Mike
pmcarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 9:28 AM   #25

I use the Canon ink cartridges...so I don't suspect the ink in my case. My best guess is that it is the print head. I've tried cleaning it, reinstalling the drivers/printer, etc. No luck/change. I'm about to give up and just buy a new printer, which sucks.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:13 AM   #26

Me too. Does Canon make a replacement print head for the 820?
Could try that but probably easier to just get something new.

pmcarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 8:33 AM   #27

If they make a replacement printhead, I can't find it anywhere. I've tried searching online and calling stores. One salesperson that I talked to said that even if I could find one, it would cost almost as much as a new printer ($80-100 for printhead with no guaranty that it would be any better vs. $150 for a new printer with warranty).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I guess I'll end up buying another Canon so that the extra ink that I have doesn't go to waste...I know at least one of hte newer Canon models uses the same ink cartridges as the 820.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 3:55 PM   #28

I figured this out finally...and it was remarkably simple. I compared the photo magenta tank in the printer with one of my unopened spares. The ink in the one in the printer was bluish, instead of the pinkish of the unopened one. So apparently my problem was the result of a mislabeled ink tank. Why didn't I think to check that sooner? I was only checking the labels on the tanks, not the content.