Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 16, 2005, 4:56 PM   #1

Hi, I have a canon s820 printer. Everything was working fine for more than one year and suddenly it started to print in a strage way.

For plain text, print is OK.

For images, and printing in greyscale mode, the result has tremendous magenta color (like a duotone) if I set "Plain Paper" in the printer menu. If I change to "Photo paper" in the printer menu, the the result of the greyscale image is completly turned to green.

Whe I try to pring color images, the result is magenta or green oriented depending on the paper selection in the printer menu.

I have cleaned the injectors with special fluid, I have reinstalled the printer driver, I have tried the printer on a different computer, but nothing works. Could somebody help me????

Thanks and Regards.

Benito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:32 PM   #2

Check that you have the ink carts in the right holes.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/image...d_inktanks.jpg
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:03 AM   #3

Thanks Paul for the post. The cartridges are in the right place. Could Iit bethe print head broken?. I have read some opinions stating that the print head of the S820 breaks often, and nothing you can do, just replace the printer (as it is more convenient than replacing the print head).
Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:34 PM   #4

Hi, sorry I don't know anything about S series heads as I only started using Canon after i series. The printers have got better, you'll probably match your 6 colour S with an iP4000.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 3:33 PM   #5

Further to Paul_D comments could I suggets something? Try drawing a sqaure or circle in MS Word and filling it with one colour only, ie, magenta then do a print, repeat the process with the other colours to see if they are correct.

You can do them all at once on one sheet of paper but this way you may get confused if you forget the order you printed them, as mentioned by Paul_D sounds like you got one of the tanks wrong, seem to remember reading something similar posted in the last couple of days where the cause was a colour was fitted wrong.

You didn't mention what the test strip printed like in the maintenance window, will this not give a clue?
Cheers Dave.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:55 PM   #6

I can confirm that the colors are well located.

Regarding the test in the Maintenance window, it shows right colors, with at least one solid color per column, except for the Photo Magenta where I can only find separated bars and therefore I am not able to make the right allignement.

Attached you can find the test I have done with 5 colored circles (and scanning the results for a color printout and grayscales printouts in photo and plain paper). Please indicate if you can give mea clue about the origin of the problem.

Many Thanks.
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:57 PM   #7

The previous one was the grayscale printout on plain paper.

This one was the color sample as it was on the screen

Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:58 PM   #8

This one is the color printout on plain paper
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:59 PM   #9

And the last one is the grayscale printout on photo paper.

Attached Images

Old Mar 18, 2005, 1:34 PM   #10

hi Again,
Benito wrote:
Quote:
Regarding the test in the Maintenance window, it shows right colors, with at least one solid color per column, except for the Photo Magenta where I can only find separated bars and therefore I am not able to make the right allignement.
Sounds like you've got a blocked Photo magenta nozzle, since the rest are correct, as you may know if the magenta is not 'firing' right then the other colours that rely on magenta for mixing will not appear right, maybe that this is what is happening.

The green seems rather weak to me.

At least you have given some clues now that will enable some diagnosis to be made, pretty sure someone can point you in the right direction.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote