Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 3, 2002, 8:58 AM   #1

Default After Market Inks

Hello folks, I have question for you guys wrt to aftermarket ink, it pertains to the epson 820 and the epson 2200 ( planning to buy). I see a lot of websites selling aftermarket ink or refills for these printers.

1. Are these inks any good?
2. Are they exact same ink that Epson uses and are just packaged differently?
3. Is there a site that is preffered that has better inks then other?

Thanks for the help folks.

Jazz
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2002, 3:40 PM   #2

1. I have had mixed results with off brand inks. The only one I tried was printrite. IT printed good colors but I had to keep doing cleaning cycles cause the printheads would clog up very easy.

2. Epson uses a clean room to put ink thier cartridges they are very anal about having good inks every time and I have never seen a bad ink cartridge from epson. Off brand companies tend to cheapen this proccess at most times not using the exact same mix as epson does. This is one of the reasons epson has opted to put a chip on thier inks is because people would refill and not use epson certifed inks and people would end up with clogged printheads and epson having to honor thier warranty. This is why epson now does'nt warranty printers with offbrand ink. I say never tell them you used offbrand. Thier are a few offbrand inks out there from what I have gathered that do produce the same results as oem inks. I have yet to see them in a store and I keep forgetting to write down the ones people tell me about.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:33 PM   #3

I have used the refill cartridges and have refilled my own. I order my refill cartridges and refill supplies from www.inkcart.com. If you decide to purchase from them, at the check out enter the coupon code: GETMEADEAL. This will save you 25% on your order
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 6:17 PM   #4

I have used ink from www.carrotink.com with three Epson printers (Epson 740, 850, and Photo 1270) over the last five years. I have never had a problem with compatibility or quality. Their prices are not the cheapest I've found, but their service is excellent. They have monthly specials (buy $25 worth and get a free black cartridge, etc.) that bring them in line with the lowest priced outfits on the Web.

I regularly find their prices to be about a quarter of what you would pay at retail stores.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 7:31 PM   #5

Redriver paper has a special on their 68lb photo paper. Check the Breaking news section. $30 for 100 sheets.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote