Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 19, 2005, 8:49 PM   #1

If you are willing to answer some questions concerning your usage of this printerI'd be so appreciative. Thanks

edit: sorry that should be i9100 canon printer...geeze!
devilwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:28 AM   #2

Devilwoman

What type of questions do you have on the I9100? I can try and answer them for you. I have the I9100 and been using it for over 1 and a half years.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanks for responding Bill, first I'd like to ask if you print black and white images with this printer and how they have come out?
Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:41 PM   #4

Speedie this thread gives some background.
http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_...70&forum_id=40
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:44 PM   #5

Devilwoman

Every once and a while I will print out b&w images from my I9100. Depending on the paper that I use, I can sometimes see a magenta/cyan cast to the image. Trying different papers took care of most of that.

With the papers that I am currently using, I see a very faint amount of this. For glossy paper, I like the Pictorico Photo Gallery paper and for Matte I like the Epson Enhanced Matte paper. Lately I have been using more matte paper, as the look is really nice.

When others haved looked at the images, they hardly ever noticed the slight cast of the image. Most people never see it, but I know that it is there.

For the image, I would set the image to b&w in Photoshop, and when printing the image, set the printer to the highest settings. I would also select the greyscale option in the print driver.

If I am right, the printer will use some of the colors to make the b&w image, to try and make the grey levels.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know.

Bill
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:12 PM   #6

I think I am just going to tackle this by trial and error since no one really has an answer dealing with printing black and white with this printer. I will profile them within the i9100 and come up with something close to all the papers and inks I have. Thanks anyway for all your help.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:10 AM   #7

Devilwoman

What papers are you using at the current time? In my experience, some papers do not work good with the I9100. Also, what inks are you using? If you are using 3rd party inks, then you might get some color shifts too.

What software are you using to print from? What are you other settings in the print driver? How do you have color management set? Do you have any Effects selected? I found that my printer did its best work when I made the print driver do less work, when I turned off the Vivid Photo, Image Optimizer, Photo Noise Reduction, Photo Optimizer Pro, and setting like this.

Here is another thing to remember, you are using a color photo printer to make b&w prints. The printer is going to use the color cartridges to make the various gray levels. If I am right, it will still do this to a small scaleif you have grayscale selected in the printer driver. This printer only has one black cartridge, so the black range is not as large as what the Epson 2200 has.

The best way to get true b&w prints from the I9100 is to have all the cartridges with various gray/black colors. This will make the printer a dedicated b&w printer.

Bill
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:42 AM   #8

Bill, yep I think you are right about making this a dedicated black and white printer. I will have to try the lyson's inks for this printer....they are just so darn expensive but if I want quality black and white it looks like that is the direction I need to go or purchase another printer like an epson for black and white. Either way I just dont think this printer is going to give me what I am looking for unless I use the gray/black inks. The color is ok but really I'm not that impressed. But I am still learning.

To answer your questions:

Papers: Ilford Classic Pearl; Canon Ultra Gloss {from digitalphotoprints.com}; Canon Pro {from digitalphotoprints.com}; Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight; Red River UltraPro Gloss; Konica; Canon Matte Photo Paper; Canon Photo Paper Pro; Canon Glossy Photo Paper; Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy; Red River Ultra Pro Satin.

Inks used: Canon inks, inkgrabber.com inks, LD Products-4inkjets.com inks,

Software using; photoshop 5.0 limited edition, Paintshop 8.0, Microsoft Picture It Publishing 2001. Printed out of all these softwares with no quality black and white images. Also printed out of Zoombrowser and Easy photo print.

Print Driver settings - about everyone you can think of. Tried every possible media available, Print Quality High to custom, Color Adjustment from Auto to manual and selecting different color settings. Tried checking ICM and then going to printer properties under Start>Settings>printers>selecting i9100 and going to color management and selecting Automatice to allow the printer to select the best profile. Also selecting manual and choosing different icms.

I have used and not used the effects and the vivid photo and the other effects to see any difference. Still nothing close to black and white. One question I do have that is confusing me. I tried not to mess much with the printer properties going through Start>settings>printer>i9100. I did mess with the color management and did some maintenance through this route, but managed the print quality and media selections through the software postion using zoombrowser and picture it publishing. At what point do you change the settings in the printer properties going through Start>Settings>Printers>i9100>properties>etc? Is it best to change them here or through the software you are working on the image with?

Thanks,

Devil
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:17 PM   #9

Devilwoman

Hope you don't mind me saying this, but I see a possible problem right now. It might be with the inks. If you have all three of those inks in your printer, or have used all three of those inks, you might have some troubles. A color shift can (usually will) occur when using non factory (Canon) inks with Canon inks. Their is something with the formula's that don't work together. If you want to use the 3rd party inks, then all the inks have to be from that manufacture. And when you do the change, you should purge the system out. Do a deep head cleaning.

The draw back to 3rd party inks, is that they have a tendency to clog the print head and even burn the print head out. If you read some other posts on here, you will find that these inks have caused problems with others. They have had color shifts, major fading, clogging, and burnt print heads. I use only Canon inks. Yes they are more expensive, but I can not trust the 3rd party inks right now for all the problems that they cause.

Now to the papers. What paper do you like the best? Is it the Pearl, Glossy, orMatte finish? For me, I used the Canon papers as the "baseline" for my testing. I tried many types of papers, some that you mentioned, some others you didn't. I found that for Glossy papers, my best prints were on Pictorico Gallery Glossy, Canon Photo Pro, then Red River Ultra Pro. For Matte paper, Epson Enhanced Matte won hands down.

I had major problems with the Ilford papers. They did not want to dry, were spottie, colors were off. Had the same problem with Kodak papers.

For software, you should only print from one program. You can run into some troubles with how each will send the data to the printer. They might read it different and cause color differences.

For the driver, I have mine set to Photo Paper Pro, Print Quality to Custom (then ckick Set and quality to 1, halftoning to Auto), all Effects turned OFF.

For all glossy prints, I use the Photo Paper Pro setting. For printing onthe Epson Enhanced Matte paper, I will selectMatte Photo Paper. I will change thisat the time of printing through the program.

For software, I use QImage. It does a nice job.

Hope this helps, and let me knowif you need some more info.

Bill
Old Mar 21, 2005, 4:28 PM   #10

Devilwoman, if you are using too many paper types for profiling to be economic, perhaps you could try Vincent's idea of using Extensis Intellihance Pro 4 on page 8 of his i9950 review at Photo-i. Basically you print a contact sheet with multiple variations and pick the most neutral. There is a 30 day trial of the plug-in. Or you have to get up to speed with colour theory as I don't think any preset or auto feature exists that will be 100% neutral.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote