Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:11 AM   #91

One thing has come to mind while reading this excellent thread. Why the heck does this printer waste so much ink, and what can be done to stop it from wasting so much? While these workarounds are great, a solution to the ink wasting problem would be best, wouldn' t it?
whomhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:28 AM   #92

whomhead wrote:
Quote:
One thing has come to mind while reading this excellent thread. Why the heck does this printer waste so much ink, and what can be done to stop it from wasting so much? While these workarounds are great, a solution to the ink wasting problem would be best, wouldn' t it?
In part it's a micropiezo system. The head needs to be protected from drying more so than thermal systems... in part due to the longer nozzles. Also there is a lack of force in contrast to other printing system which is likely why there is a pump in these printers geared on when the pladen goes in reverse... which well sucks.

I would agree that a better system is a good idea... but if there was a better system they wouldn't be able to sell so much ink.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:48 PM   #93

Actually there is a way — for reasons associated with age and shaky fingers I've not tried it, but there's no reason it shouldn't work.

If you move the carriage away from the park position and look at the front of the parking assembly, you'll see where the suction tube from the pump attaches (the clear one with green stripe, just like the delivery tube at the rear.)

With a steady hand and a suitable tool, it's simple to pull the tube off its spigot.

Once you've done this, there'll be no more ink sucked through the parking pads during the routine cleaning cycles -- the pump will s uck only air.

Two things you'll need to bear in mind:

1: Occasional head cleans are necessary, so you should put the tube back and initiate a clean now and again — don't wait until you have a clog to do it and

2: leaving the tube off will let air into the parking pads which is not a good thing — get a small piece of the same diameter tube, plug one end and use it as a cap for the spigot.

Note: If you use your printer only occasionally, as many do, I wouldn't recommend this mod, but it could save heavy users quite a bit.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:41 AM   #94

Idle wrote:
Quote:
Note: If you use your printer only occasionally, as many do, I wouldn't recommend this mod, but it could save heavy users quite a bit.
So, if I'm reading this right, you'd recommend this as a course of action IF you were an end user printing enough every day to exercise all the nozels... (eg: a purge sheet with each of the 4 colours shown).

Just so people know.. there's a utility available from MIS that allows you to schedule a purge print every X hours, days, etc... which would be vital to avoid the sorts of of potential clogging you'd see if you didn't print enough.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 9:27 PM   #95

Quote:
So, if I'm reading this right, you'd recommend this as a course of action IF you were an end user printing enough every day to exercise all the nozels... (eg: a purge sheet with each of the 4 colours shown).

Exactly.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 8:36 AM   #96

Hi all,i would just like to give a big thank you to all the members in this thread who have given there help,especially idle (you wont believe how much you have helped me).

My story starts a year and a half ago when i bought a new epson cx3200,after 3 months of usage i got the grim warning of death.(being new to using a printer i didnt know what it was),so i got in touch with epson who replaced it with a refurbished model and everything was fine.to cut a long story short this happened another 3 times within the year and each time i received another refurbished model from epson (as it was still under the years warranty).by this time i was sick of epsonbut decided to buy the new r300 as i thought the problem was with the cx3200.and!! yes youve guessed it,ive had the r300 for 5 months and got the warning again 3 days ago, so i phoned epson and got a refurbished model but this time ive done the mod with the bottle at the back and fingers crossed it will last a bit longer now.

Anyway i just want to show my gratitude for all the help the kind members have given and hope my r300 does me proud for a while now.:-)
yf1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:11 AM   #97

Given that this was so useful for the Photo printers I put up similar instructions for the C8x set of printers...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=40

Hope they help... but please remember this isn't as simple as the R200/300 process so it's not for the faint hearted or those of us with "clutz" written all over our foreheads
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:45 PM   #98

Sorry guys if this is the wrong thread for this question.

To save me a trip to the local PC World, can any one tell me whether the R320 has the trap door on the rear of the printer ?

Or has good old Epson stopped putting it on to stop us doing this mod.

Thanks

brianc
brianc1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:36 PM   #99

brianc1957 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry guys if this is the wrong thread for this question.

To save me a trip to the local PC World, can any one tell me whether the R320 has the trap door on the rear of the printer ?

Or has good old Epson stopped putting it on to stop us doing this mod.

Thanks

brianc
Hey Brian,

To be honest, I don't know even though I had two R320's here a few weeks back.. I forgot to look..

That said, the instructions for the C84/86, linked to above, would work just as well with the R320 if it didn't have the flap.. I'd imagine that it'll be much the same though...
Old Dec 16, 2005, 1:50 PM   #100

THANK YOU!!!!........i think you just saved me a lot of money

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000", and grief
AngelicGem is offline   Reply With Quote