Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:15 PM   #111

I guess ive had the printer for 3-4 months and it just did this tonight...i have a CIS as well from JLW .

i did the mod no problems...no trouble locating the tube although i did dislodge the white vibration damper but it was easy enough to put back in place...

Ive read thro all 6 pages of this....and you said the counter can be quite inaccurate? I am wondering if the waste pads i have even need replaced...i do not have a leak or anything underneath my printer base and I am actually quite amazed that i even got this error msg this soon.

The vibration damper was entirely white except for a little bit of red....replacing or washing the waste pads seems like a pain in the ass so for now im going to just leave it alone with the new mod installed. Unless i am told otherwise.

Thanks idle for your help with me aand the other issues i have had ^^
Kenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:22 PM   #112

Quote:
One question: I seem to recall reading a post about recycling the waste ink into the black cart. (It might have been some other forum/thread.)

What do you folks think of that idea?
So long as you're quite sure there's no dust or other contaminants getting into it, and you don't mind colour changes caused by your black ink not being really black but a somewhat muddy-looking brown, I see nothing much against it.

An risk there be, the risk be thine, of course...

Quote:
The vibration damper was entirely white except for a little bit of red....replacing or washing the waste pads seems like a pain in the bottom so for now im going to just leave it alone with the new mod installed. Unless i am told otherwise.
I forget the exact figures, but the repair manual says the waste ink alarm will fire somewhere between (say) 26000 and 42000 -- doesn't say what it's counting, though (shekels in Epson's pocket, perhaps?)

If it went off in fairly short order after you bought the printer, I'd say you're quite safe.

Most likely you'd be safe at any time -- they'd always err on the side of caution with something as potentially damaging as that.

Zakezuke's flood with his unit was, I think, an abberration and very likely due to a leak in the system somewhere -- his is the only report I've seen of a flood occurring after the waste tank was fitted (but then, I don't see every post on the 'net...)

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:19 AM   #113

Thanks idle for not being idle

Thanks for the heads up and advice as well ^^
Kenjii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:35 PM   #114

Quote:
The General Error Solution "maybe"
Installed new driver.. and the service utility, pressed all 3 button and resetteted the wase inc counter but i still had this General Error message..

Googled and find a solution in this forum by the
user: macplaxton

Soultion:

"I noticed that the motor that moves the head up and down had become disconnected from the little circuit board near the USB corner of the printer. BINGO! No more general error! Carefully check the wiring if you have dismantled this printer to get the pads out. Best advice is to just leave them alone and do the external ink pot mod."

Gonna Try this one ^^
power_nisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:58 AM   #115

Have read all the posts on this topic with great interest and as a last resort before launching my R300 across the field outside. The machine is 12 months old, had light use and I have been refilling the original carts successfully with Jettec ink until a week ago and the day after a refill when i got the paper jam message with nothing jammed and would still print a nozzle check. After pressing a few buttons I now get the general error message and maintenance light on and on pressing stop/maintenance/power together get the "clear waste ink ctr/finished/turn off/printer power" message. There does appear to be a fair amount of surplus ink around in the base of the printer and I think one of the carts may have leaked. I have reset all the counters from the very helpful links on this forum but still get the message. Thinking back there was a blot of ink on the corner of the page when printing the nozzle check so obviously too much ink somewhere. I have done the bottle mod as shown on this forum but cannot get it to work to try it. Can anyone please help. Thanks Chris :sad::sad::sad:
ceejay440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:54 AM   #116

The paper jam message doesn't always mean an actual paper jam -- it can also be triggered by the CD printing tray, the paper sensor being out of place (and possibly other things.)

I'd go carefully through both paths looking for anything stuck (I've seen a paper jam indication caused by a paper clip, for instance, also by a small piece of paper torn from the corner of a sheet.)

It's also possible for an ink leak to cause a short in the electronics -- the ink is quite conductive.

I'd try to clean up any surplus ink that's within reach (it's not particularly hard to get the top section of the case off a 300, but I wouldn't dismantle it further than that.)

If you haven't already, try isolating the printer for a half-hour or so (pull all the plugs.)

Also, if you don't have it yet, download and try the SSC service utility from http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:44 AM   #117

[align=center]FREE EPSON R200
[/align]
I have an Epson R200 that's less than a year old and has printed maybe 2,000 pages at most. I bought the printer because it was an inexpensive way to add color printing to my home office. But I still do almost all my printing on an old reliable HP LaserJet.

The R200 stopped printing a couple weeks ago. The paper feeds, the heads move, but there is nothing on the paper. I installed new Epson cartridges but it appears the printing unit is clogged from underuse.

After reading through this forum and a few other forums, I learned enough to do a careful examination of the unit. I discovered that the siphon tube that should be attached to the service station pad was disconnected. In fact it seems to be snapped off (I read somewhere that there should be a vertical nipple where the hose should attach -- there is no nipple).

I am guessing this printer may always have been this way, but I don't know that for a fact. I just suspect that the printer never actually cleaned itself because pads at the very bottom of the housing, under the print head station, are totally clean.

I've spent as much time as I can on this. Since this is basically an almost new printer complete with original manufacturers packaging, etc., I thought maybe someone in this forum who is handy with unclogging printers might want it. Or maybe there's a CIA operative here in need of an invisible ink printer?

Anyway, if you want it, it's yours for free. Just pay for UPS ground shipping and I'll send it off to you asap. A quick check of UPS rates says shipping to the most distant USA zone is approx. $22 (I'm in Maine). Closer zones would be less, of course.

[align=left] If you want this free printer, just drop a line to me at bill@thomas.net
[/align]
If no one wants it, I'll drop it off at the local community center's anger management workshop. One of the workshop sessions involves learning how to formally introduce anxiety-provohigh tech gadgetry to the a Louisville Slugger baseball bat.

wgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:58 AM   #118

wgthomas wrote:
Quote:
After reading through this forum and a few other forums, I learned enough to do a careful examination of the unit. I discovered that the siphon tube that should be attached to the service station pad was disconnected. In fact it seems to be snapped off (I read somewhere that there should be a vertical nipple where the hose should attach -- there is no nipple).

I am guessing this printer may always have been this way, but I don't know that for a fact. I just suspect that the printer never actually cleaned itself because pads at the very bottom of the housing, under the print head station, are totally clean.
Thanks for the chuckles about the bat to printer introduction... As to your problem.. I'd wager that the ink has pooled under the print head and is now soaking the underside of the printhead with ink, not to mention soaking other parts of the printer itself.

It's a shame you haven't still got the warranty but a couple of things to note.

1. When you mail it, send it in a couple of very strong, water tight bags that have been sealed shut. Mainly because this thing is likely to leak ink whilst being jostled around in transit and the mail service ain't gonna like that.

2. Ebay is a good place to get shot of dead equipment, so if you don't get rid of it here, why not try just putting it on as a "Faulty" item and see what interest you get. Most printers of that type in the UK go for around the equivalent of $20 - $40 depending on the problem.

Anyways, best of luck...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:48 PM   #119

Quote:
I'd wager that the ink has pooled under the print head and is now soaking the underside of the printhead with ink, not to mention soaking other parts of the printer itself.
Thanks for the comments.

I looked and don't see evidence of ink leakage inside the printer housing.

I didn't know how to find out if the printhead might be pooled with ink, so I tried putting a folded papertowel in the print head path. When I gently drew the print head across it, the towel absorbed a bunch of ink from the print head but not so much as to consider it excessive. But then, I'm by no stretch of the imagination an expert in such matters so I don't know how much is too much. And also I now wonder if the print head had ink on it, why doesn't the print head print?

Thanks for the suggestions re: eBay & warranty.

eBay can be a solution sometimes, but I don'want to deal with it. Having sold quite a few things on eBay I am always amazed by the number of people who don't actually read the listing before bidding/buying. I can hear the complaints already"Hey, this printer you sold to me doesn't print!" ... I think I will bypass eBay this time.

The warranty idea is good. Until you mentioned it and I looked in the user guide, I didn't realize there was a 1 year warranty. I will have to try to find my receipt. I'm not optimistic but its worth a search.

wgthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:57 PM   #120

Hi

Could anyone help me. I have epson R210 I have downloaded sscserve.exe and have reset the printer but now the cd/dvd print will only go halfway or less then stop and the paper light comes on it will not print the hole dvd.
nodramas is offline   Reply With Quote