Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:28 AM   #141

Hi Again Idle, tried different port andprinter fired up and showed regular screen display but when I tried to print it said paper jam (nothing I can see!)

Downloaded latest driver from Epson and tried again but still getting 'general error 'again :sad::sad:

woodcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:40 AM   #142

OK, at least it did once show a paper jam -- this does suggest there 'could' be something in the paper path.

There could be something quite small in the wrong spot (a common cause of paper jams in office environments are paper clips, for instance, or just the corner off a sheet of paper -- I've also found hairpins and other foreign bodies in the works, and they can't always be seen from outside..)

Does the CD printing attachment work?

It uses the paper feed rollers but a different sensor, so it might give you a clue.

I'd also try a different printer cable, if you have one available.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 2:10 PM   #143

Hi Idle ,Wow you have patience thanks for hanging in :-)

Can't try cd printer as, when I switch on, it trys to start up but after the print carriage has gone up and down a few times it goes straightto the error mesage and freezes!

I assume this is the stage to take top cover off and investigate further?

I understand if I am becoming a pain. I am very appreciative of your taking the time to offer assistance..............

Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:15 PM   #144

Yes, it's starting to look like some sort of service is required -- do you know how to get the cover off (not that you can see much more when you do...)

One thing that just occurred to me: under the top cover of the 300's there's a ribbon connector that supplies the card reader etc.

If this is loose you'll get a general error, and if the cover has been off this is quite likely the cause -- you have to be super careful putting the cover back on, so as not to shake it loose again.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:03 PM   #145

Yes , It is looking as tho' I will need a service :sad: I did take the cover off ( I had downloaded a service manual) I disconnected the ribbon drive so the top would come right off but, as you say ,you don't get to see much more with it off.....looked everywhere for any stray bits but all looked clear.

It acts in an intermittent fashion . In the manual it says the error could come from not reading the cartridge as being correct. Just to try it I removed and reset the chip on each cartridge and when I fired up she tried to print and came up with the paper jam error and then back again to general error after the sheet fed thro' with the maintenance button.?????

Thanks again ,Idle for all your input so far...................Dave

Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:22 PM   #146

It's even possible that the paper feed has jumped its timing --- it's not unheard of.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:23 PM   #147

Many Thanks Idle, I was about to purchase a new printer when I stumbled accross thia great fix for the R300.
Cheers
David
leesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 11:40 AM   #148

Very Interesting thread this.....i had already installed ciss before ever coming accross this site, i was alarmed about the counter reset as i had already done it a few months prior to fitting ciss so the thing must be soaked...i dont tilt the printer what so ever and have been lucky so far...im not planning on replacing pads and hope they will set after some time and i have now added waste tank.

I did no printing for about a week and when i went to print an a4 picture i noticed that there was air in the tubes near to the carts....my ciss is the type that resets the carts before they reach empty to avoid unneeded head cleaning and i have heard that air in the tubes is normal ?.....when i powered on the printer it went through a cleani9ng cycle and the air dissapeared into the cart....is this ok ? the printouts are fine at thte moment so do you think i will get problems later ?

Many thanks.
downloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 5:38 PM   #149

It's quite normal to see air in the tubes from time to time.

Just keep an eye on the bottle levels -- so long as they keep falling and you don't see any leaks, there's only one place the ink can be going.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 1:30 AM   #150

Excellent.

I would just like to pass on some valuble advice to anyone with cans of commpressed air.....i saw lots of dust around the ink tanks and thought i would give it a quick blast.........the air must have caught the air valve spot on and a jet of yellow ink shot out of it and hit the cieling and came down like rain ...good fun but mrs was not happy with yellow spot on cieling
downloader is offline   Reply With Quote