Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:59 AM   #161

Thanks for the info on the manual resets Idle. I tried the manual reset over a year ago on the 1290, I received the info from an Epson engineer but I forgot to record the sequence. It is about time that i start fitting the external overflow bottles to my 3 printers. So far I cannot use the software program because I am using a Mac. I must borrow a Pc. They sometimes have thier uses. Brian Ireland
Brian Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 3:49 PM   #162

Hello Idle, I thought I would pass on some good news for the great info that you are sending. I ha just bought a new flow system from < inkexpress4u@yahoo.com > A complete system for my R220. Complete withe inks etc plus an SSC reset system software with full explanations, Total with post €62 (€45 post) . 4 days delivery from HongKong. By the way istill cannot locate the over flow tube either on my R300 or R220, I will find them yet. Brian Ireland
Old Mar 23, 2006, 4:55 PM   #163

Word of warning with this mod folks..

I've found out the hard way recently that ink can easily backflow into the sponge that usually accepts the print head during purges and I think where it parks the head.

It's essential that you keep the tubing at a low height and don't use a container that will raise the tubing any higher than the bottom of the access door.

For what it's worth I'm ordering in some parts soon to construct a more rhobust CIS + waste ink tank including (I hope) a check valve that should allow ink to flow into the tank but not back again. That coupled with a platform to hold the printer on and a low profile tank underneath should do the trick..

I'll post up some photos and a parts list once I've done it but figured I'd post the warning at the top there as my R300 has required a lot of TLC because I forgot about gravity.
:?
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:13 PM   #164

Hello all.

Wow, this forum is just a plethora of goodinformation. Who knew that when you buy a new Epson inkjet printer you're getting a whole host of unexpected opportunities to lengthen its seemingly-purposefully-engineered short lifespan.

I performed the hose modification, extracting it out the back ofmy 2 month old R320 and drilling a small hole in the rear access hatch, as pictured on the first page of this thread, and so far so good. Haven't see any ink pour out of the hose, but then again I leave my printer on 24/7 and don't print usingthe front memory card slots.

I will be curious to see how copious the wasted ink will turn out to be -- Ihave to change most of the print cartridges in a few weeks (forecasted based on my ink usage as reported by the print monitor) so it'll be interesting to see what spills out the back when it goes through the new cartridge priming and cleaning routine.

Thanks to everyone for their pioneering efforts and willingness to share good information.
Nake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:14 PM   #165

Brian Ireland:

Inside the trapdoor you'll find a small block of (hopefully white) hard foam plastic that's loose when you move it with a finger and you can lift it out -- on the 300 it's down and to your left, on the 200 the trapdoor is closer to the end of the printer, so it's probably down and on the right

The delivery (loose) end of the tube resides under this.

websnail:

That's something I'd never thought about writing up, but of course it will happen if you try to make the waste "pump" push ink above its mounting point.

I put "pump" in quotes for the simple reason it's really not a pump in the accepted sense -- all it does is accelerate what is essentially a gravity feed.

Between pressure strokes and whilst the pump is idle the tube is just that, and it's open both ends, so the delivery end must be kept lower than the pickup end.

If you refer to my original pix at the start of this thread you'll see that this is just what I show there -- the tube exits the printer broadly in line with the pump and turns downward into the container (which cost me about 30 cents), so the fluid level can never rise high enough to backflow.

The pump is about the crudest thing you could devise -- effectively it compresses a section of the plastic tube, rolls/slides along it and pushes the contents forward.

Not greatly different to hand milking a cow!

Re the supply botttle mounting level, there are warnings all over the place about raising them too high -- if you set up a syphon you will get leakage.

My whole outfit (printer, CIS bottles and waste tank) sit on a sheet of plate glass, so they're all at exactly the same level -- in 18 months there's never been a trace of leakage anywhere (other than when the cart seals failed on the JLW system, and that was more a matter of air getting in rather than ink out), and being clear glass any leak outside the printer would be instantly visible.

Being a "belt and braces" type, I do have the CIS bottles sitting in a plastic tray, though.

Lesson endeth -- Amen. :-)
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 6:34 PM   #166

Thanks again Idle, I removed the small pad and can now finally see the tube, from previous threads, can it then be hooked clear to fit into a container without problem.? Brian Ireland
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:45 PM   #167

Yes -- I use a short length of wire with a suitable bend to pick up the tube.

You'll find it's quite easy to wangle the loose end through the hatch, just be careful you don't pull it loose at the other end.

It will reach to about an inch and a half outside the printer -- quite enough to reach into a container of the type I used.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2006, 3:28 AM   #168

Idle wrote:
Quote:
websnail:

That's something I'd never thought about writing up, but of course it will happen if you try to make the waste "pump" push ink above its mounting point.

I put "pump" in quotes for the simple reason it's really not a pump in the accepted sense -- all it does is accelerate what is essentially a gravity feed.

Between pressure strokes and whilst the pump is idle the tube is just that, and it's open both ends, so the delivery end must be kept lower than the pickup end.

If you refer to my original pix at the start of this thread you'll see that this is just what I show there -- the tube exits the printer broadly in line with the pump and turns downward into the container (which cost me about 30 cents), so the fluid level can never rise high enough to backflow.

The pump is about the crudest thing you could devise -- effectively it compresses a section of the plastic tube, rolls/slides along it and pushes the contents forward.

Not greatly different to hand milking a cow!

Re the supply botttle mounting level, there are warnings all over the place about raising them too high -- if you set up a syphon you will get leakage.

My whole outfit (printer, CIS bottles and waste tank) sit on a sheet of plate glass, so they're all at exactly the same level -- in 18 months there's never been a trace of leakage anywhere (other than when the cart seals failed on the JLW system, and that was more a matter of air getting in rather than ink out), and being clear glass any leak outside the printer would be instantly visible.

Being a "belt and braces" type, I do have the CIS bottles sitting in a plastic tray, though.

Lesson endeth -- Amen. :-)
... and we thank you for todays sermon Father

I appreciate I'm repeating what's already been said but as a self confessed "I know what I'm doing" type, it's worth just repeating the obvious sometimes...

.. especially when I discovered that I didn't know what I was doing and I hadn't really thought it through properly... :sad:

It's a wise [person] who learns from the mistakes of others, and it's a true muppet who does and then ignores that knowledge... So just be calling me "Gonzo" from now on :P
Old Mar 24, 2006, 1:52 PM   #169

Just a quick note on making a waste tank for your epson #r200 / r300

as i race model cars they make a flip top petrol container for about £5.00.

This is a splill prove container so to keep fuel in if the car rolls over.

On the container is a connector which is the same size as the wast ink pipe.this fits lovely with the pipe conected

Next i used two sited velcro, on side stuck to printer and other on petrol tank, this hold the petrol tank at back of printer, hope this helps all

Im newbie on here so i was looking for other fixes

Have fun with a safe waste ink container attached with velcro with a spill proof lid

keeps wife happy
angloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:02 AM   #170

angloman wrote:
Quote:
Just a quick note on making a waste tank for your epson #r200 / r300

as i race model cars they make a flip top petrol container for about £5.00.

This is a splill prove container so to keep fuel in if the car rolls over.
Can you provide a source for those containers as they sound like just the ticket for my particular needs..

Thanks in advance...