Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 14, 2006, 8:59 PM   #191

Oh I'm not having a go, just making a suggestion that would normally benefit you.

As to the problem, it's actually pretty simple stuff... The ink monitor in Epson Status monitor is just providing you with an electronic estimate of what it "thinks" is in your cartridge.. Assuming your CIS utilises autoreset chips that reset themselves you should see the monitor change at some point to show full or near full on the cartridge(s) that were nearly empty.

Depending on the chip type you may have to turn off the printer for 10 seconds and then turn it back on again to get it to reset or it may just update itself...

Hope that answers the question ok...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:34 PM   #192

Thank you that is very helpful information.

Are you familiar with the SSC Service Utility software that deals with the Ink measuring problem?

They suggested that I should remove the Epson Status Monitor using Windows before using this.

Do you know how I would go about doing that? Or haveI drifted I off the thread again?
InkPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:39 PM   #193

Brian Ireland:

Quoting the R300/310 service manual, the red status light runs steady (not blinking) under the following conditions (note they will mostly be identified on the 300's LCD display and perhaps on the computer screen as well):

Ink Out -- Paper Out -- Paper Jam -- Ink Pads Full (Parts inside the printer have reached the end of their useful life) -- CD Guide Error -- Memory Card Error (unrecognised card) -- Bluetooth Module error -- System Error (Fatal Error) Press & Hold both power and stop buttons for 7 seconds to turn off printer))

If it's the last error listed, it usually means either the carriage motor or the paper feed motor has detected an overload condition and stopped.

The error and printer action you describe does suggest it's cartridge related, though.

InkPirate and Websnail:

Whilst this thread was started simply to provide information on coping with the infamous "Ink Pads Full" problem, it has since ranged far and wide -- it's almost become a service manual...

InkPirate's problem suggests that perhaps the change to the auto-resetting carts wasn't picked up by the printer and it still thinks the OEM chips are installed.

It's also possible that someone goofed assembling his first CIS and used chips meant for use-once carts -- it's unlikely, but it could happen.

Most auto-reset chips are supposed to reset to full again at about 10% -- if it's still showing a quarter full then it won't have gone down far enough yet, so don't panic until it actually stops on you.

The printer actually hasn't a clue how much ink is left -- it just counts firing pulses and head cleans and triggers the shutoff when the number comes up.

The auto-resets simply skip the shut-down signal and send a new cartridge signal instead -- if they're properly programmed they pick up again beyond the priming point so you don't get the automatic head clean after cart change either.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2006, 9:46 PM   #194

Thanks Brian and Websnail for your assistance! As I am still at 26% I will await the outcome and trust it will be favorable.:bye:
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:07 AM   #195

Hey, what do you know! It WORKED! My black ink sensor (even in the dreaded Epson Ink Monitor screen) got down to 10% and suddenly jumped up to nearly 100%! This is great! Thanks again guys, for the info. Now to follow the instructions above to open the trap door and pull that waste ink drain tube out of the back and run it into a bottle so my printer doesn't load up with ink in the pads below!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 5:46 PM   #196

Idle wrote:
Quote:
InkPirate and Websnail:

Whilst this thread was started simply to provide information on coping with the infamous "Ink Pads Full" problem, it has since ranged far and wide -- it's almost become a service manual...
Indeed... I had my moderator hat on from a completely different forum and just got a bit carried away... so apologies if my zeal appeared to get the better of me.. :blush:

Good points as always with the other parts Idle..
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2006, 11:33 PM   #197

Not to worry, all's well that ends well!:bye:
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:40 AM   #198

Hi everyone, I just bought an R340 this weekend, and start to read that post, now i am not sure if i did make a good buy, because of that wasting ink stuff, I have read about the mod that you can do, but if I do it it will of course, I presume VOID my garantie, and I have take a year of extented garantie, so I guess it is better not to mess around with mod, or just return the printer.

and sorry for my bad english

thanks for any comment
Charles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 11:49 AM   #199

I don't think the R200/300 series waste any more ink than most inkjet printers, and they do offer one of the best photo printing systems on the market. Also the separate tanks for each of the six colours is a good feature, and you can get refilled tanks for less than £2 each. I don't think it's such a bad buy. Mine has had a LOT of use, and it's still going strong. What I would do is simply wait until the waste ink pads fill up, then have them changed under guarantee, and wait until the machine is out of guarantee to do the external waste tank modification. Unless you're going to buy a colour laser or something you aren't going to do much better than the one you've got IMO.
sirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:09 PM   #200

Fantastic solution. It took me about 10 minutes to craft my own waste bottle behind the printer. I just used an empty 4 oz ink bottle from my CFS system and attached it with stickback velcro.

I had originally called Epson but they wanted $9.95 just to talk to me and gave me a Service Center's number in my area. The Service Center said it was "full waste ink pads" and suggested I "buy a new printer" as their repair was $85.00. He said that the $85.00 covered new waste pads and resetting the printer. He implied that the "reset" was something difficult and "top secret." What a scam...

Your solution was free and better in my view.

Thanks,

Rob H
RobH2 is offline   Reply With Quote