Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:28 PM   #201

Hi,
I do not want to feel stupid, but I am pretty a newby in that field
but I have read that thread, and I am just curious about a question,
I have bought a R340 printer this weekend, and I just want to know, did the printer make itself a head cleaning every time that I start the printer, or I have misread sometime in the thread, and sorry againt for my ignorance, and thanks for your help.
Charles55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:55 PM   #202

Thank you Idle for this great tip! I just purchased an R300 from Fry's last week for $49, and I did the waste ink mod before even installing the printer. I was stunned at how much ink this thing wastes. Here's a pic of my ghetto setup and the amount of ink wasted by powering up the printer just TWO times!:shock:

And yes, my R300 seems to go through a cleaning cycle every time I power it up.
lamdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:59 PM   #203

That's pretty dramatic, but of course we don't know how much ink other inkjets waste in the cleaning cycle. I don't keep turning the printer on and off, I just let it go into standby if not in use, and my impression is that it only goes through a cleaning cycle if it hasn't been used for a while - say a day or two. If you're using it every few hours it doesn't keep cleaning itself, or so it seems to me. Have other people noticed this?

By the way, I don't throw out the waste ink in the external tank, I use a syringe to put it into a black cartridge that I use on a very old HP Deskjet, and it works fine. Obviously it must be a mixture of colours but it comes out jet black.
sirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:24 PM   #204

Ihave an R220 and sure enough the blinking red :?:?lights finally came on... not sure what to make of it, so I spent some time trying to diagnose the problem myself. Then I went online and did a search for this problem, found this forum,downloaded theutility (SSC Utility) that was provided which thankfully solved the problem with the blinking lights :-).Curious about the modificationsbeing discussed here,Idecided toread all 11 pages here. At this point I have not added the external modification yet.

I have a question about theexternal ink container and the resulting modifications. I thnk that I read in one of the threads here that even though one completes the external modification, one still has to put this tube back inside (hook it back up in its' original position),once in a while to allow forintermittent head cleaning or a different cleaning process??I hope that this is wrong or maybe I misread the thread and this is not the case. My understanding of this external modification is once one addsa collection container to the back of the printer,that's it --"set it and forget it" until the container needs emptying. I really do not want to be moving that tube back inside and then bringing it back out to the externalcontainer several times. Anyways, I will be looking forward to your response here.
candee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 11:54 PM   #205

No, you just "set it and forget it" -- replacing the tube is only if you remove it at the other end to save ink, which is a fiddly and somewhat risky procedure.

Since you've already had the "ink pads full" message, do treat fitting the external drain as a matter of urgency --- you don't want to be cleaning up after an ink flood...
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 1:43 PM   #206

Well I just did my R300 and can't thank everyone enough for their feedback and especially Idle. I did not modify the little cover but drilled a axcess hole lower as lando's showed to allow the tubing to be lower than Idles. Just was easier for me to drill because didn't really have a good tool to rework the cover. Could not find something clear for the ink to drain into but used a old plastic prescription bottle and velcroed both bottle and back of case. Epson's printers are the only ones I could find to do CD's & DVD's and does a much better job for me over the stick on labels. Being in USA couldn't get a Canon for doing discs. I cannot knock Epson because for what I paid for my 300 and what I've gotten out of it - it was well worth it. Yes I don't use their ink so the cost of printing has been very reasonable. I have used the other suggestions on this thread and thanks for the repair manual of the 300 and the other reset tool. When I get a few extra $$$ I think I'll get another 300 or 200 for a backup in case something really goes kaput for good. This modification was simple, quick thanks to everyone involved.
alsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 2:07 PM   #207

This is a little bit off topic but if you're printing on CDs and DVDs it's much better to get the proper printable ones than to use stick-on labels. The labels tend to pull the photo-sensitive surface off the back of the disc, especially if they get hot. You'll find that a disc will be okay for a while and then suddenly stop working. You can also get the label snagging on the internal mechanism of the player. The ones designed for printing are well worth the little extra.
sirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 5:58 AM   #208

sirat wrote:
Quote:
That's pretty dramatic, but of course we don't know how much ink other inkjets waste in the cleaning cycle. I don't keep turning the printer on and off, I just let it go into standby if not in use, and my impression is that it only goes through a cleaning cycle if it hasn't been used for a while - say a day or two. If you're using it every few hours it doesn't keep cleaning itself, or so it seems to me. Have other people noticed this?

By the way, I don't throw out the waste ink in the external tank, I use a syringe to put it into a black cartridge that I use on a very old HP Deskjet, and it works fine. Obviously it must be a mixture of colours but it comes out jet black.
Just on this subject.. There seems to be quite a bit of comment that the HP printers are actually less wasteful although I can't point to any references, it's something that has filtered into my consciousness as I've been reading these and other forums the past few months.

Also, I've installed an external waste tank on my Canon iP4000 and whilst I can't confirm that it's gathering all the waste ink I can say that it does get any during cleaning, deep cleaning or priming cycles. Even if it's half the full amount purged in such cycles it's still lower volume than the Epsons..

I'll post more at some point (read: 2007 maybe? ) when I've had a chance to look at waste ink output in a disassembled iP4000 that doesn't have the tank.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:54 AM   #209

Re HP printers, the latest machines use region coded carts -- those for the US won't work in Australian supplied printers.

The shape of things to come...
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:08 PM   #210

"Update" I found a clear plastic spice bottle that was empty and replaced the pill jar I had to catch the ink that would have gone on the pads yesterday and did a few photos this morning and for kicks looked in back and much to my surprise a few drops of ink are in the bottle. It does work. Clever you guys are. Thanks again!!
alsie is offline   Reply With Quote