Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 30, 2006, 1:27 AM   #211

My R220 had twoflashing red lights on top. I reset the protectioncounter as in my earlier thread and the printer seemed fine. At this point I did not change or modify the waste tube. Next day the red flashing lights came back. So....

OK, I have taken the timeand used the following directions as posted earlier by someone else.

On the left rear of these printers is a small trapdoor held by a single screw.

Remove it, look inside (down and to your left) and you'll see the waste ink tube.

The tube is free at one end, and with a suitably curved piece of wire you can hook it and wangle the end out through the opening (you may dislodge a small piece of plastic in the process -- just put it back where it was, it's only a vibration damper.)

At this point, you're almost there.

All you need now is a suitable container for the waste ink, and to file a small slot in the trapdoor cover so you can put it back without pinching the tube (or you could just lave it off.)

The container in the photo is a small square one with a snap-on lid, approx. 60mm square and holding about 150ml -- they're sold in sets of three for a few cents and are for making ice-blocks etc. in your freezer.

Make a hole in the lid as shown (slightly larger than the tube to let air escape) insert the tube and forget about the internal pads forever.

-- There was a piece of foam just inside and below the opening. There was a length of clear tubing just below this foam which, when using a metal coat hanger bent in the right way was easy to lift up. This tubing was visible between this piece of foam to the left and another piece of foam to the right. I lifted this tubing up from in between these two pieces of foam.

-- I have now completed this process and reset the protection counter using the SSC Utility as mentioned earlier. After that, I turned off the printer and then turned it back on. Both of the red lights started flashing again.I noticed that while using the utility that the ink levels all show about zero. There is lots of ink in all cartridges (CIS). Also when itis starting up,the printer makes a rather funny "gasping" sound. Not sure what to do now. Any ideas?Looking forward to a trouble-free printer sometime down the road ...

I am "thinking" about going back and putting the tube back in and changing the ink waste pad (or cleaning it) and then changing the pad again on a regular basis to correct this problem. I will wait until I see another response here before I do anything more....

candee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 6:14 PM   #212

Just a final note to Idle & Websnail, some CIS systems appear to be lethargic in resetting, My new Cis system on a 220 has the same daliance. Even flashing lights but finally settles down on its own accord, then rests at the last moment.
Brian Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 11:56 PM   #213

Candee:-

The waste pads and the external tube have no connection whatever to your problem -- restoring the tube and cleaning/replacing the pads won't make any difference, as there's no sensor attached to either.

The error indication varies according to what the printer considers is wrong -- the lights flash in several sequences and at different rates.

Blink timings:
No Blink: Light stays on (may be combined with another one blinking)
Blink: 0.5 sec on, 0.5 sec off
Alternate Blink: Same, but 2 LED's blinking alternately.
Blink 2: 0.2 sec on, 0.2 sec off
Fast Blink: 0.1 sec on, 0.1 sec off

The maintenance request (ink pads full) error is:

Power LED: Off. Paper out LED (centre one) Alternate blink 1. Ink LED: Alternate Blink 2, so you'd have 2 LED's flashing at different rates and one (POWER LED) turned off.

If it isn't this one, please post which lights are blinking and their sequence and I'll look it up for you.

If the SSC utility doesn't work for you (make very sure you're following the directions to the letter...) there's a manual button press sequence (I forget what it is, but it's been posted here, I think, note it's different for the 200 and 300 models so make sure you find the right one.)

Re the ink level display, it's controlled by a firmware counter in the same way as the ink pads one, so what's actually in the cartridges is only reasonably accurate if you're on the 'use once' variety -- when it counts down far enough they'll reset to full (which with a CIS should be their permanent state anyway) instead of stopping the printer.

As to looking forward to a reliable printer, of late there doesn't seem to be any such animal -- they're building too many gimmicks into too-cheap devices and reliability suffers accordingly.:roll:
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 4:17 AM   #214

Brian Ireland wrote:
Quote:
Just a final note to Idle & Websnail, some CIS systems appear to be lethargic in resetting, My new Cis system on a 220 has the same daliance. Even flashing lights but finally settles down on its own accord, then rests at the last moment.
That's pretty common with the newer form of Reset chip... They get to about 15% full and then reset but occassionally need to be turned off and then on again to reset. Happens all the time with my C8x series printers..

As for the R220, that particular brand of printer has a different chip on the black (If I remember correctly) so a lot of people have fallen foul of problems when they've received a kit for the R200..

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 5:15 PM   #215

Here is my setup i use a dvdr spindle as a waste tank. i plan to recycle the waste in back into my black ink supplies ( 1 part waste ink / 4 parts black ink)

jason shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 7:13 PM   #216

I am using an Epson RX630 multifunction printer. Am I likely to experience this Waste Ink Pad problem as well. If so will the same suggested fix work for my printer please.

ken
kenny46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 11:31 PM   #217

kenny46:

The waste pads are used in all consumer-grade Epson printers, so you certainly will if you do enough printing.

The external tank fix will work, so long as you can find the end of the waste ink tube and extend it out to a tank -- I have no idea where it is, though, except that it will go from the head parking station via the waste pump to the bottom of the case.

Note you'll also need to find the reset routine somewhere as well.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 2:29 AM   #218

websnail wrote:
Quote:
Also, I've installed an external waste tank on my Canon iP4000 and whilst I can't confirm that it's gathering all the waste ink I can say that it does get any during cleaning, deep cleaning or priming cycles. Even if it's half the full amount purged in such cycles it's still lower volume than the Epsons..

I'll post more at some point (read: 2007 maybe? ) when I've had a chance to look at waste ink output in a disassembled iP4000 that doesn't have the tank.

Sorry I know this is off the thread, but websnail could you send me details of the waste tank fitted to a Cannon IP4000.

brian_cordes2002@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks
brianc1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 3:01 AM   #219

Thank you Sir. I will check it out.:idea:

ken
kenny46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 5:48 AM   #220

brianc1957 wrote: Hi Brian,

I'll be posting some pointers in the next month (very busy right now) so watch out on continuousink.info where I'll post the article on how it's done..

For your own info though, you'll need some barbed connectors like this:
http://www.ark-plas.com/products/det...art=AP0909ELBN (but the 1/16 - 1/16" ID size.
(but getting hold of them is a royal pig in anything less than bulk)

.. and some 1/16" ID tubing, plus a glue gun...

It's by no means an easy fix and I've yet to determine if it's the best way of doing things...

websnail is offline   Reply With Quote