Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 5, 2006, 10:52 AM   #231

My Epson R210 is showing two red blinking lights flashing alternatively with power button off. Does anyone here has the counter reset software to resolve such problem? Ssc service utility can't work to solvethisproblem.

Please help. Thank you so much!

totodorimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 8:22 AM   #232

First of all i would like to say this is a excellent site (for both newbies and more seasoned users like myself) and one of the most helpful forumsI have ever come across so much credit goes out to all the contributers.

I'vefinally got around to doing theeasy r300 external waste ink tankmod posted and had to sign up asI have a few questions of my own, albeit fairly simple ones for those in the know.

First of all where canI buy replacement pads from? / or what canI use instead? the pads to the left were absolutely soaked anddepite my attempts to clean and dry them out, i think they've had their day so i need replacements.

Ihavent even looked at the pads underneath the cartridge housing yet, whats the best way to move it out of the way so i can get them out?

Thank GodI don't have to open it up nowand replace the waste ink pads at the bottom! lol

Hopefully my vertical lines/banding and all that will be eliminated too as it will clean properly on a unsaturated pad. If there are other suggestionsI can implement (besides switch off high speed printing which ive done) to improve quality on printouts esp whenI print on dvd surfaces or photo paper it would be most welcome.

Oh, and for those guys that have had trouble finding the service manual,I have uploaded it at the following site (originally for a friend but everyone's more than welcome to grab it). The file is zipped and includes not only the r300 service manual, but also a "EpsonPrinter Adjustment Program", and the "SSC Service Utility".

http://rapidshare.de/files/29857220/Epson_Stylus_Photo_R300_service_manual_Utility___S SC.zip.html

Thankyou in advance.
ShowStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 1:51 AM   #233

I really don't know where you'd buy replacement pads from -- they should outlast the printer.

Under normal circumstances it's never necessary to clean the pads at either end of the print-head stroke as they're intended to be wet.

The left-end pads don't collect much ink, and when they become saturated the surplus seeps into the far end of the main pads -- it can be ignored as the quantity is so small that the printer will wear out long before the accumulation will pose any problem, particularly when a waste ink container is fitted at the other end.

As for the parking pads, I've owned several Epson inkjets down the years, have never removed these pads from any of them, nor seen any reason to -- removing, washing and drying them will only result in eventual damage and they'll be saturated again at the first head clean, for all the waste ink is drawn though them.

If you wish to move the heads away from the parking pads, there is a small white plastic clip below and behind the carriage belt -- flip it with the end of a small screwdriver or something and the carriage will be free to move.

There are several causes for banding -- you've turned off high speed printing and still have it so it's likely to be mechanical.

It can be clogged nozzles, dried ink adhering to the head surface and deflecting the spray, air bubbles (often from a faulty seal in the cartridge outlet and sometimes, particularly if you have a CIS fitted, a cartridge that's reporting full but is actually low on ink ), even damage to the head itself or the piezo pump.

First thing to try is the Windex treatment (a few drops of ammonia-based glass cleaner on the parking pads and leave overnight), possibly followed by a physical clean under the heads (a strip of lint-free cloth damped with the same cleaner, lay it along the head path, move the heads over it, pick up the ends and pull to and fro.)

If this doesn't work, check for air leaks and/or lack of ink.

As a last resort, pull the offending cartridge and gently inject cleaning fluid directly down the feed spike -- be very careful not to apply too much pressure and fracture a head, they're quite fragile.

If none of the above help you probably need third-party assistance.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 4:34 AM   #234

Quote:
First thing to try is the Windex treatment (a few drops of ammonia-based glass cleaner on the parking pads and leave overnight),
"Windolene" original, non smear in the UK

Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 5:53 AM   #235

Barn Owl wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
First thing to try is the Windex treatment (a few drops of ammonia-based glass cleaner on the parking pads and leave overnight),
"Windolene" original, non smear in the UK
Be sure and check that it is the correct stuff though as the newer forumlations use no ammonia at all.
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:43 AM   #236

Quote:
Be sure and check that it is the correct stuff though as the newer forumlations use no ammonia at all.
O/K point taken must admit it does not smell of ammonia so I could be wrong!.But I have been usiing it Myself for 4 years or so, unblocking quiet a few printers for friends and colleagues. So please as Websnail points out use with caution
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:27 PM   #237

hi, thanx 4 the prompt responses, i will do the windex trick etc, only have 1 problem tho, the pads on the left side, albeit were past their best, i did clean and leave out to dry but they got inadvertantly thrown away any suggestions?

i was thinking maybe cutting a piece of the foam u get withmotherboards to size (and thickness!), as it seems to be of a similar material (and lint free!), maybe that will do the trick? esp as they are the ones on the left so hopefully they wont causeany problems. its worth a shot i guess as i cant think of anything else remotely close. i will let you guys know how it works for any others that have the same problem.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:21 PM   #238

Had a look at a piece of that stuff -- if you can get the top surface in exactly the same position it could very well work OK.

Remember the head surfaces have to wipe on it but not catch so you won't have much leeway there, and you'd need to keep a careful eye on it for friction damage and chemical deterioration.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:42 AM   #239

As to replacement material someone pointed suggested that maxi pads (el' feminine type) or babies nappies/diaper absorbant material were good alternatives
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:26 AM   #240

well it looks like ive got a few options to try out now, thankyou for your help. i was also thinking cutting up a sponge, they are absorbant after all! lol