Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:46 AM   #241

Definitely not a sponge, synthetic or otherwise -- kept wet they mould and rot.

The material doesn't have to be absorbent -- probably better if it's not, but must allow liquid to pass through.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:52 AM   #242

i dont think that "motherboard" material is adequately suitable after testing it out as it doesnt appear to allow liquid through it easily.

after searching around, i was able to find a couple of companies (in the uk) thatdo provide replacement pads, theyare only a couple of quid, but there is a snag, they want a minimum order of £20, guess i'll have to try the nappies next...unless someone knows of a place to buy just the pads!

ive enclosed a parts catalogue for the printer, which ive uploaded at the following site: http://rapidshare.de/files/30211431/R300_Spares_Catalogue.pdf.html (out of curiosity, does anyone know a better place to post larger files?)

can someone also please help me identify the correct part im after? (its thevisible pads to the left as soon as u open the printer cover). ive uploaded the bit i need in a gif - is it 534 or 704? its a bit hard for me to correctly decipher the diagram as the bit i removed was rectabgle! thanx!
Attached Images

ShowStealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 8:52 PM   #243

Hello Idle,

Your many posts re the R300 have been very helpful. I have read through many pages of this thread and don't think I'm repeating.

Regarding my R300 -- After several months of very light use, I installed a set of aftermarket cartridges. Alas, onebegan leaking, and brought the system to a halt. After a thorough cleaning and "mopping up" ink I got the printer working again.

Several weeks later I encountered the dreaded General Error.Nothing Idid made the error go away.Eventually I discoveredthis discussion on this forum. Here's what I've done:

1. I took the printer apart and cleaned everything as much as I could.

2. I installed the waste tank mod.

3. I installed new cartridges.

4. I reset the protection counter by both the "3-finger" method and the SSC utility.

The General Error message has not budged!

I am an electronics engineer and very mechanical, very much at home working with such gear. I don't think this is a re-assembly, or faulty connection, etc. error.

I would much appreciate any ideas. This is my wife's beloved printer, so I'm hoping to salvage my 41-year reputation of being a "fix-it genius"! :-)

Thanks a million!
emcly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:56 PM   #244

Look for ink leaking into the electronics and causing a short (these inks are often conductive.)

I haven't actually encountered this problem with the 'R' series, but have seen many earlier models written off by ink leaking into the works.

That you actually got it working after disassembly (quite a feat in itself...) suggests there might still have been some liquid you didn't find.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:05 AM   #245

Hey emcly, Save yourself a lot of trouble and dump the sucker:sad:. I and a lot more people have had this problem . My R300 was barely used as is yours . my ink pads looked quite clean. I tried every suggestion, Idle and co did their best to help to no avail. I am thinking of going with canon as they seem to have a better reputation ,but in the meantime prepare my shots send them to Costco over the net and they are ready the next day and are, to my mind , a very good quality for less than it costs to buy ink and paper , not to mention the $ 250 Epson door stop :roll::roll:

...................Dave
woodcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:15 PM   #246

Thanks again, Idle.

I guess I'll have to get out a more powerful magnifying glass! :roll:

I'll post here if I ever suceed!

Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:20 PM   #247

Well Woodcarver,

You may be right. If so, there goes my reputation! We used to have a saying on our mechanical repair bench when servicing old tape recorders, "If your first attempt didn't fix it, get a bigger hammer!"

To be continued. . .
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:38 PM   #248

Hope you get a fix,emcly. You deserve it for your dogged persistence:-)

One thing I did find on removing the print head on my machine was a liittle grounding plate lying in the bottom of the carriage. Dont know if this was causing the General Error message . Have not found the heart to face more dis-asembly and reassembly yet ........................Dave P.S. might need your hammer :O
woodcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:21 AM   #249

totodorimi wrote:
Quote:
My Epson R210 is showing two red blinking lights flashing alternatively with power button off. Does anyone here has the counter reset software to resolve such problem? Ssc service utility can't work to solvethisproblem.

Please help. Thank you so much!

Pipmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:21 AM   #250

totodorimi wrote:
Quote:
My Epson R210 is showing two red blinking lights flashing alternatively with power button off. Does anyone here has the counter reset software to resolve such problem? Ssc service utility can't work to solvethisproblem.

Please help. Thank you so much!

Pipmart is offline   Reply With Quote