Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:34 PM   #281

Did you take the air vent seals out of the supply tanks?

Is there a kink or air locks in the supply tubes?

Are you sure the carts went fully home on the outlet spikes? -- the printer will pull air between them and the '0' rings instead of ink if it can.

You might need to re-prime the cartridges (take them out and draw ink through until there are no more bubbles) -- it may have used up the ink that was in the outlet spikes and didn't draw any more down to replace it.

Try and find the fault, don't just keep running head cleans in the hope that will fix it -- you may damage the heads.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:23 PM   #282

Thank you for such a quick reply!!!

Didn't take the air vent seals off the supply tanks... was i meant to?

The instructions were all in chinese withhalf a page in english.
telling me to pop them in...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The carts went down on the spikes, but they don't seem to click right.
I drew some ink through the cartridges, which seemed fine.

But one thing i noticed was when the ink was being pumped into the cartridges
it seemed to go in and then come back out again. The tubles seem full with the small odd air bubble.

ink then back out.

Even when i was drawing the ink through the cartridges they never seemed to fill up.

Any ideas?

Davidneedshelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:56 PM   #283

Quote:
Didn't take the air vent seals off the supply tanks... was i meant to?

The instructions were all in chinese withhalf a page in english.
telling me to pop them in...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The carts went down on the spikes, but they don't seem to click right.
I drew some ink through the cartridges, which seemed fine.

But one thing i noticed was when the ink was being pumped into the cartridges
it seemed to go in and then come back out again. The tubles seem full with the small odd air bubble.

ink then back out.

Even when i was drawing the ink through the cartridges they never seemed to fill up.

Any ideas?
Right-

First thing you do after installing the set is to remove the breather seals from the tanks and install the set of air filters that are (usually) provided -- if you don't do this then a vacuum will build up in the system and stop ink flow.

Normal replaceable cartridges have a breather vent that allows air to enter and replace the used ink -- in a CIS this breather is transferred to the supply tank, the cartridge is just an extension of the ink tube and is supposedly airtight (you're in trouble if it's not...)

That the ink seems to flow back to the tanks after you drag it through suggests that (a) the sealing is good and (b) that there's no air getting into the supply tanks.

The system will not work if the tanks are sealed and air can't get in.

I don't know which type of tank you have, but there are basically two kinds used in the Chinese systems -- the most common has a fill hole and a breather hole, both sealed with a rubber plug.

They come in a number of shapes and sizes, but all work the same way.

Before use, but after the tanks are filled, you remove the smaller plug and replace it with a filter vent -- usually a device shaped like a mushroom with a second stem on top.

Don't throw the plugs away -- you need to replace them before refilling the tanks so the breather tubes don't flood.

The second type has but one combined fill hole and air vent -- these are laid on their backs for refilling and don't need to be resealed prior, but still have a seal when delivered that needs to be replaced with the filter.

As to the carts not appearing to 'click' into place -- not all are as positive as the OEM carts.

Try a little more pressure, perhaps, but the important thing is that the bottom outlets seal on the spikes and the chips make contact where they're supposed to.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:29 PM   #284

AMAZING!!

Printer working VERY VERY well! I take my hat off to you.

Made my day getting that to work.

Thank you!!!
Davidneedshelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:32 AM   #285

amazingly enough, i've had the R300 for just over a year without any cleaning at all.
i had heard you get locked out and was wondering when it would happen.
a quick google search for answers and wollop..your post appear.

Thanks VERY Much Idle. your post was easy to follow and enabled me to sort my printer out in 10 mins.

just for info, if anybody has any old camera film tubs left over, they are ideal for the waste ink pots. right hight with a clip on lid.
Rich-Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:46 PM   #286

Hi Idle

Hoping you can help me -

I've fitted a waste ink tank to my R340 as per your instructions for R300 (basically exactly the same) but I did this back in July - The printer has now decided it wont feed paper, it just shreds it! So as it's still under warranty its going back, now the problem is I cant remember where the tube that carries the ink should be, and I think I should put it all back where it was so no "invalidated your warranty" can be throuwn at me... What should I be looking for?

Cheers

Great thread this
eas4uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:52 PM   #287

With the access hatch open, it's down and to the left -- goes underneath the small block of white styrofoam.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 7:02 PM   #288

thank you idle
i had a bit of trouble using the 3 button reset method, but i just tried it in different combinations till it worked.
is it possible to tell how full the waste pad is without dismantleing the printer????
(will use idle's method anyway, just curious)
maxknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 9:06 PM   #289

No -- they hang the pads in mid-air and assemble the printer around them...

You'd need X-ray eyes.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:30 PM   #290

First off thanks for the mod to the ink waste system superb.
heres a thought, do the printers waste more ink with non Epson inks?
Could Epson do someting via software to make the printer waste more ink if a non Epson cartridge is fitted?
Just wondered has anyone used both and noticed a difference?
Griff
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote