Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:40 PM   #21

brianc1957 wrote:
Quote:
Changed my first cartridge and was amazed at the amount of ink that was purged through !!!

I hope those waste ink pads dry out now Im not using them, they must be soaking !!!!
If it's anything like my r200... they DON'T dry. Mine spilled out the front. What's more sad is I outfited mine with a 20oz waste cup about 3 months after buying mine and it still was overfilled with ink! I averaged about 1 5*5 pic a day for 6 months.

The nice thing is if you phone Epson and say your printer is dripping buckets of ink, they don't question it, they tell you to put it in a plastic bag and bring it in for warranty service where it can be repaired. I couldn't get them to replace mine off the bat, I had to take it in for service and wait over week for them to look at this printer in a plastic bag sloshing around with ink for them to make the valued judgement that it should be replaced.

What did they call it, all star warranty service? Like taking it to the tree yard mechanic twins bubba and bubba. It look broke, ask bubba. Yep, it's broke. Wait a week... "Yep, it sure is broke".

In all fairness i'm getting a referbished one, what I don't know is if referbished comes with a full ink set.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 4:39 PM   #22

zakezuke,

I am a little confused.

Now I have fitted a waste bottle, I thought no more ink would go into the waste pads.

Are you saying that even if that is so, after a period of time the ink that is in the waste pads now will leak out ?????
brianc1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:56 PM   #23

brianc1957 wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke,
Are you saying that even if that is so, after a period of time the ink that is in the waste pads now will leak out ?????
Either
1. My printer was so full of ink before I routed the ink to the mug that it spilled out the front. This scares me as I dumped it twice at 1/4 full.
2. The tube under the waste pad became disconnected long enough and leaked and came out the front.
3. My printer thought it was a good idea to dump ink everywhere.

I just got mine back from the shop, they replaced it was a referbished model and gave me free ink. But not replacement tray, damn it!
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:29 AM   #24

Zakezuke: I'd say that either the tube from the waste ink pump got disconnected or you had leaky cart seals.

Just looked at what can be seen of the pads in my 310 and there's not a mark on them.

You will get some ink in the extreme left pad from the wiper -- there's nothing you can do about that, but the printer should wear out before it causes any bother.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:54 PM   #25

:arrow: This whole forum has been a GREAT source of info in dealing with my new R300. I'll be attaching my Tupperware Solution very soon too. :lol:

ONE QUESTION: When I open the top cover, I see the soaked pads on the right, under where the heads park. But there's also a pad on the left the has three strips of wet ink. What is that for, and do I need to do any maintenance on THAT pad?

Thanks in advance!

Paulie
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 4:06 AM   #26

Paulie: If you watch your printer in action, you'll see the carriage move to the extreme left every few strokes -- this is to wipe off any excess ink so it won't build up and spatter on the print job.

These pads drain to the left-hand ink pad, however the amount of ink that goes through them will never be enough to cause you any problem (see my previous post.)

The pads under the print heads in the park position are the ones all waste ink from head cleaning etc. flows through via the tube you'll be pulling out to the drain bottle.

Make very sure you don't dislodge the inner end of the tube from the pump when leading the free end outside.

With the heads in the 'change carts' position you can see the inner connection.

Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:28 AM   #27

You know, I knew you'd have the answer. Thanks!

If you don't mind, I'll throw one more your way. My R300 has just started this new quirk: When I print a 4x6 (on Kodak Premium Photo Glossy 4x6 stock with the settings set to Kodak's instructions, i.e. Epson Vivid, High Speed Off, Yellow +2, Magenta +3), the first inch of the photo prints beautifully (the first inch out the printer), but then the rest of the photo has these vertical transparent lines. I say transparent because the color is still there (and quite accurate), so it's not the typical banding; they're just faint transparent bars so to speak, slightly noticable.

I did run the nozzle clean utlilty once, and the printout does still show one missing line at the bottom of each color (just one). I would assume that would be the cause, by why would the first inch of the photo come out perfect and then the rest of the photo have the lines? This has been consistent for several photos.

I'll get my drain bottle installed, and then I'll run the cleaning utility until I get a uniform printout, and see what happens.

Regardless of the initial maintenance, this is still a great printer, especially for the price.

Idle, thanks for your time with me and all these other folks on here... you've taken the struggle out of an otherwise difficult situation with the R300. Who would have known that commercial inkjets normally have a drain bottle?

Paulie, Stateside from the Heartland
Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:18 AM   #28

Yes, run the clean cycle until you get a consistent full nozzle check.

In the majority of cases a bad nozzle check is due to air bubbles -- your result I'd guess to be that.

If the air isn't directly against the head, but in (say) the spigot, ink will probably work its way down by gravity when the printer is idle, so you'll get a clean print at first, and streaks or lightening as the flow is slowed (mind you, I'd expect this sort of output to leave irregular lines, not even ones.)

Note since I haven't seen this happen myself, this should really be taken as theory...

Your vertical lines might also be a media thing (the ink not drying quickly enough and the output rollers leaving a mark.)

Some Kodak papers are known to be slow drying and many Epson users avoid them -- there has to be a reason.

Try a best-quality print on plain paper and see if the lines are still there.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:43 AM   #29

Excellent advice, thank you. I 'll bet I can narrow it down now...
Old Jun 24, 2005, 3:00 PM   #30

Idle,

I ran the Head Clean Utility a second time, got no broken lines, and then followed Kodak's instructions for the R300 (one of which is to turn off High Speed Printing), and the prints are now GORGEOUS. Thanks again for your help.

For anyone reading this, since Kodak Premium High Gloss paper is so common and available, here's the settings to set in your Printing Preferences (Save the settings for later use!) for the R300:
  • Set type to Epson Vivid (not Standard) [/*]
  • Turn High Speed Printing off (lays ink in only one direction... comes out better, and allows ink to dry) [/*]
  • Set Yellow to +2 [/*]
  • Set Magenta to +3[/*]
That's it! Enjoy!

Paulie