Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 19, 2006, 6:08 PM   #291

If they wasted more than the OEM setup does, you'd not get much printing done...

In fact, the later 'always full' CIS carts use less ink because they're programmed to avoid the purge that follows every cartridge change and pulls ink from all carts, not just the one that's been changed.

You still get the regular programmed head cleans, of course.

Third-party throw-away carts will be much the same as the OEM's -- thrown out with about 10% ink still in them.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:32 PM   #292

R300 = I would like to ask if anyone understands the following problem, I have the ciss system and it works great, also the ink collectiontube mod, "thanks to the folk here!

But I cant help but notice I am collecting a huge amount of ink, Now the printer is always on. never off, so its not the normal head clean waste. I have also noticed it does a sort of clean before each print job i give it, My ink whent down a lot slower with normal cartridges, So why would it expel so much ink, aprox: 10mls on every print job wasted, From the on position, I never turn it off.

Is there a way to make it just print and not clean, or slow the amount of ink, Maybe squezze the pipe lol....Bang lol

Many thanks for all theTop help Here
Attached Images

witchhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 9:30 PM   #293

Something is wrong with either your system or the way you measure the wastage -- 10ml is near enough to a cartridge per print job, no-one would put up with that!

The "sort of clean before each print job' is only the printer setting itself up so that it knows where the heads are in relation to the print media -- there shouldn't be any ink pumped through unless a scheduled clean point has been reached (if there is, you should be able to see it flowing through the outlet tube.)

Having said that, most (all?) of the early chipped CIS cartridges for the 'R' series printers do a purge cycle every time a cart resets to full, and some of them reset to full every time the printer is turned on -- the combination can waste lots of ink.

The latest chips don't do either -- they reset the cartridge to 'full' before the dot count gets down to the cartridge change point, thus avoiding the purge cycle, so ink loss should be confined to the firmware-initiated cleans and any you specifically start.

Squeezing the supply tubes will only result in either your cartridges running empty or the printer failing to print due to vacuum buildup -- not a good idea...

If you've got one of the early CIS systems, I'd suggest either replacing it with the latest version or looking for a set of the newest style chips.

If you do the latter, remember that the chips are specific to each colour.

Old Nov 20, 2006, 4:12 AM   #294

Idle wrote:
Quote:
The "sort of clean before each print job' is only the printer setting itself up so that it knows where the heads are in relation to the print media -- there shouldn't be any ink pumped through unless a scheduled clean point has been reached (if there is, you should be able to see it flowing through the outlet tube.)

Quote:
Hi idle.
Quote:
Thank you so much for your quick reply.
Quote:
The cisssystem is I believe the latest, I got them from svp in the uk were I live, They have a high turn over of stock, So I hope on the strengh of this they are modern enough. Perhaps its this scheduled clean point you mention, as it does this on every print as you mentioned above, And ink is visibly being pumped out of the tube, as the printer sets up., Do you think perhaps I should reseat them or something, As you say its a silly amount of ink being waisted, I think the system is great apart from this huge ink lose. Thats probably why I got the printer error, the one were you have to reset the counter, I got this shortly after I installed the system, lol .... I have no problems with flow or air bubbles, The opposite by the looks of things, :-/
Quote:
Many thanks again idle and hope the weather in oz is better than here.. Guranteed
Quote:

witchhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:41 PM   #295

This definitely should not be happening -- mine does a scheduled head clean occasionally, most times it just sets itself up to print whatever it's told to do.

Re-seating the carts wouldn't help -- it looks like a software/firmware problem.

My major ink loss is when the (old-style) chips reset the ink level in a cartridge and a heap of ink gets pumped out of all 6 -- I'd say it accounts for about 30% of the ink I use and it's far too much.

I have a later system in a box on the shelf -- one day I'll get around to installing it...

I'd take it up with your CIS supplier and see what their view is.

If you haven't done so already, also download the latest drivers from Epson, just in case...

As to weather, we've been having the usual Melbourne effort -- all four seasons in one day, sometimes more than once.

A few days ago we had widespread snow, followed a day or so later by temperatures up to 40 degrees C and there are wildfires all over the eastern states.

The only thing it doesn't do is rain -- we're rapidly running out of water (many areas are already without any and no real rain likely before March/April.)
Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:01 PM   #296

i have a r340 and i have tried to use the windows softare to reset the waste ink tank counter but even though it said it did ...did not work.....of course the epson r340 was not listed i used on of the r series.

is there a 3 key combination that will reset it?

i have a deadline for work and lots to print still any help would be great it just has a red screen on the lcd window on the printer tath says error: service required see your manual for details

thank you!
JJ
bugajski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2006, 5:51 PM   #297

"fraid I don't know of any -- the sequence for the 300 series is in this thread somewhere and might work.

All I can suggest it to experiment with other combinations of keys -- it may be quite a while before the SSC utility gets updated for them (first they have to either get their hands on a printer or have the info 'leaked' to them.)
Old Dec 3, 2006, 9:56 AM   #298

thanks for the response! i tried the 3 key combination for teh r300 and did not work.....there are lots of buttons on the r340 ....if you do see a way to do it please post here thank you! ...pretty crazy how a perfectly good printer all of the sudden is useless...why would epson design it that way...i understand the cartridge racket a little but not this?
bugajski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 7:37 PM   #299

The reasons behind it are twofold:

1 : The absorption pads in the bottom of the printer have limited capacity -- resetting without changing the pads can (and does) eventually result in a flood of ink and a nasty mess.

Hence the 'waste ink container' mod that starts this thread.

2: Making it necessary to return the printer for service generates revenue.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 7:10 PM   #300

can anyone help.i removed trapdoor in my r220.but cant find a tube so as to put in bottle outside printer,my printer already shut down,and my local pc shop reset printer counter for 5 uk pounds.well worth it.i need to find out how to remove outer cover or side panels on this printer to have a look for this tube.thanks.
ray156 is offline   Reply With Quote