Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:51 PM   #321

My apologies if thgis has been posted elsewhere:

I am in the process of upgrading my r300 to the newer r380 and am wondering if the waste ink mod works with this printer as well. I was looking at one in a store and i did not see a trap door in the back of it.

Thanks for any responses.

Frank
stile58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:50 PM   #322

So long as you can find and access the end of the waste ink tube, there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Not having an R380 to check on I can't offer any instructions, but you would probably need to cut through the case (warranty worries??) to extend the tube outside the machine.

I would expect to find it in the same general area as in the R300, though, and when you do the mod, make sure the extended drain tube remains lower than the bottom of the parking pads so you don't get backflows and flooding.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:49 PM   #323

Update:

I brought home the R380 and it took me all of about 20 minutes to get the mod done and it's working fine.

The waste ink pads sit in the front right of the printer covered by the cartridges in the park position. To get to the tube you have to remove the right side panel. This is done by removing the 1 screw at the bottom right of the printer in back and then sliding the side panel backwards to remove it. (This may take some prying as well).

Once the panel is off, you can see where the tube is connected to the waste ink pads. Simply pry the tube off the connector and position through a hole that you will need to drill through the side panel, and replace the panel.

The hardest part was figuring out how to remove the side panel, but once the back screw is off, it's very little work to remove the panel.

I can take some pictures of my set-up if you want, but I would need someone to host them.

hope this helps.

Frank
Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:24 AM   #324

Quote:
Once the panel is off, you can see where the tube is connected to the waste ink pads. Simply pry the tube off the connector and position through a hole that you will need to drill through the side panel, and replace the panel.
Are you sure you used the right section of tube?

On the earlier "R" printers the end of the waste tube simply hangs loose on top of the pad — please make very sure you didn't disconnect the waste ink/priming pump.

If you wish to post pictures, .jpg images up to about 240K (reduce the image size to, say, 800x600 pixels) can be posted directly in this thread — they don't have to be hosted elsewhere.

Just open a new message and use the "Browse" button, navigate to your file and "Send" (don't use "Preview" tho'.)
Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:23 AM   #325

I already have the printer up and running, and as you can see by the first picture there's ink in the bottle. The newer R series has the tube running to the waste pads which are located at the front right of the printer. you can just barely make out the tube in the 3rd picture in the bottom right. The pads is the block of white again in the bottom right of the printer.

Like i said earlier, the hardest part was getting the right side panel off.

Thanks for the mod idea in the first place Idle.
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:23 AM   #326

2nd picture:
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2007, 8:24 AM   #327

picture 3:

Is there no way to post more than 1 picture per post?

Frank
Attached Images

Old Apr 12, 2007, 7:49 PM   #328

I see how they've done it, now — I was fearful you'd somehow managed to bypass the pump.

Looks as though the pads might be replaceable without a major strip-down of the printer, which would be a major improvement.

Now all you have to do is get your hands on the service program ready for the day the printer decides the pads are full.

I believe there is a way to print multiple photo's in one post, but I've never worked it out.

(later edit) Looking at your waste bottle, you need to have the end of the tube turned down a bit — ink is likely to wick down the outside of the tube and wind up on the table, plus if it dries in the tube it'll block the flow.

Have another look at the picture of my setupon Page 1 — to this day there's no trace of residual ink in or on the tube — it all drips into the container.

Old May 5, 2007, 8:22 AM   #329
ob1

Hi I'did the wast ink mod a couple of years ago on my r200, and it worked perfectly, but before i did it the waste ink must have gone into a tank inside the printer? how do i empty this tank as i have sold the printer on ebay and need to ship it.

Also I have replaced the r200 with a r360. Can i do the same mod on this? as there is no trap door on the back, will i need to strip the casings and drill before re assembly?

does anone have a service manual or diagram i can follow?

thanks for any help you can give me

:-)
ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 7:26 PM   #330

Don't worry about the ink inside the printer — it's in an absorbent pad that will never leak so long as the external tank is used, and will eventually dry out.

Check the manual for what you do about the installed cartridges, and make sure the carriage is locked securely so it can't slam about in transit.

Fitting a waste ink tank to the 360 probably entails removing the end of the case and drilling it — the tube doesn't go to the rear of the printer as they did on earlier models.

Incidentally, it appears that Epson are changing the firmware of production printers from batch to batch and also area coding them so that cartridges for one area won't work in printers sold in another, which will give after-market chip makers a real headache.