Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 6, 2007, 6:28 AM   #331

I know that you all have been talking about the innards of the printer but wonder if any of you could help with the following problem.

My Epson R200 has just stopped working, i.e. the job is sent to the printer and the printer goes through the motions of putting the paper through and the ink cartridge carriage goes back and forth just as it should.
However when the paper comes out and the job is finished , there is not a mark on the page so something is stopping the ink going through onto the paper.
I have gone through the nozzle and head cleaning functions several times, but with no change. Still blank paper.
I have been using bulk ink system and have also tried seperate cartridges. Still no change.
Can anyone help with what I can do to see my printing on the page please. Unit has only ever printed about 50 sheets and a couple of discs, so should not yet be 'worn out'!!

mikeandnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 7:28 AM   #332

You may possibly have:

— A massive clog due to lack of use, or air bubbles in the heads (air will cause them to cavitate and not pump ink.)

Try the Windex (ammonia-based glass cleaner) treatment on the head parking pads — leave them soak at least overnight, then run a heavy head clean and see if you get any ink flow at all. If this brings traces of ink on a test page then you're on the right track.

Successive head cleans without a print job between will apply increasing amounts of cleaning — too many can cause physical damage to the heads.

If still no joy you can try forcing cleaning fluid through the heads with a hypodermic — be careful and don't apply too much pressure, heads are easily broken.

— A faulty set of heads.

Not a common fault, usually only one head will fail.

Can be caused by an ink leakage into the electronics, check if this has occurred.
Remedy for a total head failure would be to find a suitable bin.

— An electronic fault or bad contact elsewhere in the printer stopping data flow.
This is more likely than actual head failure, repair will depend upon whether you either have some knowledge of electronics and are able to take the thing apart and reassemble it, or have a tame tech — these things are too cheap to spend much money on, and too flimsy for the uninitiated to dismantle.

It's also not unheard of for the printer's firmware to get its legs crossed — try totally disconnecting it for a half-hour or so (power and data cables.)

— A driver problem.

Doesn't really sound likely from your description, but try re-installing.

— Something I didn't think of.

Apart from thumbscrews or a few turns on the rack, I can't offer any suggestions for this far from rare fault...

If you don't have it already, the free SSC service utility might be of help.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 7:48 AM   #333

Thanks to Idle for the quick response.

1. Have tried SSC Service with no change

2. Have tried disconnecting - no change

3. Where are the 'head parking pads, and how do I get them out?

4. Have never taken a printer apart before so am working blind and don't want to damage the thing if it can be saved.

Appreciate your further advice please.
Old May 6, 2007, 8:11 AM   #334

The parking pads are the pads the print heads park on when the printer is idle.

Their purpose is to kepp the heads from drying out and to provide a vacuum seal when head priming and cleaning is in process.

You can access them by lifting the carriage latch (it's usually white, and you'll see it if you squint along the left edge of the carriage between the belt and the guide rail) with a small screwdriver or something, then push the carriage to the left.

You do not take them out — messy, and it's difficult to get them back in just as they were.

Just put a few drops of cleaning fluid on each and park the heads again — it doesn't take a lot to do the job (ammonia is a solvent for dried dye ink.)

For help with the mechanics of the thing, a Google search should turn up the R200 service manual in .pdf form — post here again if you can't find it.
Old May 6, 2007, 10:11 AM   #335

Idle,

Thanks for the quick reply It must be the middle of the night where you are!

I have moved the carriage to the left as you said and that has exposed what appears to be a black pad with two metal edges squares in it side by side, each of which has an 'X' of metal from corner to corner.

Are these the pads?

Also no I don't have a service manual for this printer

Thanks
Old May 6, 2007, 7:33 PM   #336

Check your PM's.
Old May 7, 2007, 2:44 AM   #337

Have replied

Thanks
Old May 8, 2007, 11:39 PM   #338

Thanks for the info on externalizing the waste ink hose guys. Here's pictures of my mod. The entire mod cost me $4 (the most expensive part was the self-adhesive velcro tape -- which I still have lots left over, so I guess the mod really cost me something like $1.50).

First I located the hose, I found it just down to the left of center underneath a small rectangular piece of felt waste padding. I drilled out a 11/64" hole just under the trapdoor and fed the hose out thru it.

Attached Images

kimgkimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 11:45 PM   #339

I put one side of a piece of velcro tape on the printer to hold the tank in place and put the other side on the tank itself. Next I drilled another 11/64" hole in the tank, and fed the hose into it. The tank is the smallest sized "Blue Ice" ice cube substitute thingy that you can get for your drink cooler. This one was about the size of a pack of cigarettes and cost $0.88 over at the local Walmart. I emptied out the blue ice gel thru the hole that I drilled.

Attached Images

Old May 8, 2007, 11:46 PM   #340

Here's the tank now attached to the back of the printer.

Attached Images