Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:07 PM   #361

You're most likely right — lightly used printers will be more prone to ink buildup under the heads than heavily used ones, so you might get this buildup causing smearing.

Note it's not necessarily black ink — usually it's a mix of all colours making black.

Make sure the carriage path is clean, and you might perhaps put a few drops of ammonia-based window cleaner on the head parking pads occasionally — this will loosen any under-head buildup of dried ink.

If this doesn't fix the problem, try a strip of lint-free cloth damped with head cleaner or window cleaner laid along the head path, move the heads over it, pick up the ends and pull gently to and fro.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:06 AM   #362

Thanks for the tip. I'll clean as much as I can get access to.

I've seen the tips for fitting a bottle to collect the surplus ink but unfortunately my R300 printer is on a very shallow lower shelf on the computer desk with no room at the back for a bottle. Being the lower shelf its location would be precarious for a bottle of ink to be sitting anyway as it could easily get knocked over.

What I would like to do is clean the pads in the printer which soak up this ink.

Is there a procedure for dismantling the necessary components of the printer (R300) and doing this, or can I access the pads without removing them and dab them with folded kitchen roll to soak up the surplus - if so how do I get to them.

Thanks
GGEESSBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 5:10 AM   #363

Replacing or cleaning the pads on this printer is pretty much a total disassembly — they're in the base and run virtually from end to end.

Unlike most of the more expensive models, this one uses the base as the assembly reference, so you can't just take the mechanism out of the box and put it back again.

To do it properly requires the service manual and program, factory-supplied jigs and no little expertise.

Hence Epson's skyhigh charge to do the job for you.

Rather than either option, I'd put a bit of study into how you can fit a waste bottle (extend the tube round the end, extend the shelf, use a long thin container & velcro it to the back of the printer, put it under the shelf , raise the printer a bit and put the bottle underneath — anything to avoid having to take the thing apart...)

Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:29 AM   #364

OK Idle, It sounds too intricate to pursue.

I'm not getting the message to renew the pads anyway so hopefully they're still OK.

However, I am getting the black marks on prints and especially onprintable disks.

It appears that the marks are occurring at each end of the traverse of the print head with dots that smear lightly across the page at each end.

I would like to try the lint free cleaning method you suggested earlier but I don't know how to move the print head across as it is locked in the parked position when the printer is off.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:59 AM   #365

Just to the left of the carriage , between the guide rail and the belt, there's a small white plastic clip.

Raise it slightly with a small screwdriver or whatever — carriage is then free to move.

Alternatively, turn the printer on and switch off at the wall whilst the carriage is moving.

Don't be brutal when cleaning under the heads — they're easily damaged.

Your marks are quite possibly ink buildup being dislodged on the sudden change of direction.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:14 AM   #366

Idle, I appear to have resolved the problemby using your advice.

I moved the print head to the centre of the carriage but not having any lint free cloth, I cut some A4 paper into stripsand slid one under the print head.

I moved the paper to and fro and black marks smudged on to the paper, howeverI think the breakthrough came when I saw a a small regged piece of cloth like debris around 2mm by 5mm coming out the side of the print head as I drew the paper through.I pulled the debris out which was soaking with ink and the subsequent to and fro smudging reduced to almost zero.

I don't know if this debris was an accumulation of paper fibres or something picked up from the head parking pads but it was clearly stuck to the print head and causing prints to smudge.

Iguess it would be good to be able to remove the print head assembly and examine it for further contamination at the nozzles but that would probably be another complicated disassembly job.

Also, the parking pads were very wet soI gently dabbed them a number of times with folded kitchen paper to reduce the wetness.

My prints now appear to be fault free.

Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 7:47 AM   #367

Glad to hear you've been successful!

It's quite likely you've had a misaligned sheet of paper at some time and a corner has torn off and jammed in the head assembly.

Don't be concerned at the 'wetness' of the parking pads — it's by design and no matter how much you dab off, the pads will be just as wet again the next time the machine does a head clean.

All ink used in the cleaning cycle is drawn through the parking pads.

Be careful touching those pads, too — the pump operation requires an airtight seal when the heads are parked.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:13 PM   #368

Idle wrote:
useful

thank you very much

diana
diana08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:10 PM   #369

Since buying a CIS (from inkjetfly.com), I now think that it is prudent to do the waste ink mod on my Epson R200. I have seen the pics on this thread, as well as several (different approaches, though) online videos. However, before I potentially ruin a perfectly good printer, I really would like more info about this waste ink bottle mod. While the info all is quite good, I am not sure exactly what items I need to buy. For example, doesanyone know the size of the extension tube and waste bottle? Where were these items purchased, and what exactly is that type of bottle called with the fitting on the top of the lid that I have seen? I have seen videos where the internal waste tube is pulled out from the left side, and others wherethe pad located a bit to the rightwas removed and then the waste tube was pulled up from that side--SO CONFUSING!! I would feel so much better if I REALLY knew what I was doing, and such answers will make this job that much simpler and safer!!

Thanks in advance to all!!

Rich
richkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:23 PM   #370

The instructions in the first post of this thread cover your R200 — it only requires that you remove one screw, drop the cover off the access hole, pull out the small block of loose white foam you find inside it, fish the end of the tube beneath it out with anything suitable (make sure you don't pull the tube off the pump — only move the free end), file a small bit out of the cover plate where shown to accommodate the tube, put the plate in position and replace the screw — please yourself whether you put the foam block back in or not.

If you use a receptacle like mine (I've found it very satisfactory over more than two years — it still looks and works exactly as it did then, looks neat and cost about 50c) you don't need to extend the tube at all.

Should you wish to extend the tube, 4mm ID fish tank air tube fits over it and costs a few cents per metre — do make sure the tube slopes downward so ink doesn't pool in it.

The whole task might take you ten minutes or so and you don't get into the mechanics of the printer at all.